ramblings/questions about IPO - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

ramblings/questions about IPO

I never thought i'd see this day, but Berlin ignored a food reward and instead wanted his ball reward. A few IPO training sessions and my food crazy boy has been transformed into this ball/tug crazy dog. He will do ANYTHING for that darn gappay ball, I swear. Which leads me to my question....I have been using the gappay ball for obedience (heel, hier, and proofing his sitz/platz/focus etc). What is the best way to reward with a ball or tug? I will ask him to do the command (if its proofing, he has to do some reps of it) and then engage in a game of tug, or throw the ball. Just wanna keep his drive up, and not bore him, so I make sure I reward him frequently.

Also, what size tug do you all use for obedience? My 12x3in one is too big, cannot hide it, cannot carry it with me...but is the 8x1.5 inch one too small? or 10X1.5inch?

His jute tug came in today..and now he could care less about the french linen tug. He goes crazy for the jute...thats what the bite pillow/wedge is made out of at our club...so I guess he just likes that more. Sucks cause I just ordered a smaller french linen tug!

Also, who has done the AD with their dog? When he goes for his IPO1, he will be doing his AD too. I have looked into it, our club offers it with their trials...just wanna know how to prepare. We already run a lot, his pads are tough...so just keep that up? He can run 6 miles with little issue.

Berlin is finally getting the hang of this protection work game...he was a little confused the first two times, kept looking back at me, like..."what am I supposed to do ma? Go after this guy with the pillow?" But this past week, he did awesome! He is SOOOO close to barking, but still hasnt. lol. I, on the other hand, suck, and am interfering with his awesomeness.. I cannot be a 'tree' to save my life.

Tracking is going exceptionally well. He LOVES to track. He works the box so intensely, snorts and grunts and works the edge of the box so nice. If he goes out of the box, he immediately corrects himself. He will be moving on to small tracks this week.

He did obedience training this week for the first time also, and did way way better than I expected. He comes out onto the field so excited, and ready for anything. Says hello to the people quickly, and then comes right with me ( ) I didnt have to hold his lead, he was so focused on me and the task at hand for being in a situation with a buncha doggy smells, exciting people, etc. He did great, and keeps surprising me.

Sometimes, I get so frustrated with him and what ISNT going right...that when I finally stop to think about our progress, I realize how many things he IS doing right and progressing with so much. I dont give him enough credit. I couldnt ask for a better dog, really. I love him so much. I love the bond that is strengthening already from training in IPO. Its so awesome, and one of the main reasons I wanted to get into this with him. I am so proud of him when hes out there!

I bought "Training the Behavior" by Gary Patterson, it came in today, hope its a good read! (Probably shoulda waited until finals were done with...) Any other recommendations people have for schH books are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC

Last edited by gsdlover91; 05-08-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

I'm only responding to a couple things. I wasn't able to process your whole post, I'm a little tired haha.

As far as tugs for obedience go, I like the hidden tug with two handles. It folds up nice under your armpit.
Fullgripgear | Tugs & Bite Builders

Also in regards to your dog only wanting to bite jute. I would make him bite as many different materials as you can. Linen, leather, jute, carpet, plastic, wood and so on. Have you ever seen a dog at a trial that wont bite a sleeve because its not the right material or even color? I have. It's not good. Umm.... That's all I can come up with right now. I'm going to re-read your post haha.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I'm only responding to a couple things. I wasn't able to process your whole post, I'm a little tired haha.

As far as tugs for obedience go, I like the hidden tug with two handles. It folds up nice under your armpit.
Fullgripgear | Tugs & Bite Builders

Also in regards to your dog only wanting to bite jute. I would make him bite as many different materials as you can. Linen, leather, jute, carpet, plastic, wood and so on. Have you ever seen a dog at a trial that wont bite a sleeve because its not the right material or even color? I have. It's not good. Umm.... That's all I can come up with right now. I'm going to re-read your post haha.
LOL Thanks for responding! Its okay, I typed a ton

Those hidden tugs are awesome! How neat. Do you know how wide/thick they are by any chance..?

He'll bite anything really....but seems to prefer jute. But wow, really? Some dogs have a COLOR preference?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

Okay, so being a post! Very important for a helper to be able to work you dog correctly and for safety reasons. I look at it like this. If my dog can move an inch forward more than he started then the helper can get bit and seriously injured. Yes it a "game" buts its playing a game that can really hurt. So, put the leash either in the small of your back or slightly under your butt/upper thigh and sit back in it. It really helps "lock" you and the dog in place. Here is a video of my GF working our dog Heidi. Look at how she "posts up". She does a great job(can you tell I'm proud of her). She has only been doing this since January so its not like she has been doing this forever and a pro. Heidi Protection 4-20-13 - YouTube At about 1:48 in you can see the post position better.

Barking for the toy/tug. A lot of handlers leave it up to the helper to "make the dog bark". I don't. Yes as a helper I do all I can to make dogs bark but handlers can do this as well. Find something he really wants. If it's his ball then play a minute then get him amped for it and then keep it still and out of reach. If he barks give it to him. If he doesn't repeat. Once you get him to bark once, then make him bark twice before he gets it and so on. He will begin to learn that when he barks he gets what he wants. With one of my dogs I did it with string cheese. My new puppy I was able to use anything (he was easy).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

My hidden tug is about 1x10-12 with a crease in the middle so it folds up nice.

I may have got caught up in the moment about the color haha. But seriously about the material. I have seen a dog on an escape bite and say oh no that's not my sleeve and ran around until it found a linen sleeve then carried that back to the helper like okay, this one is mine. Kinda funny unless your the handler haha.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Anyone know what size obedience tab is best? Is 8in or 12in best? Is 3/8 or 5/8 too thin? (I think i'd prefer it thinner, but just trying to get an idea of what everyone uses..)

Quote:
Okay, so being a post! Very important for a helper to be able to work you dog correctly and for safety reasons. I look at it like this. If my dog can move an inch forward more than he started then the helper can get bit and seriously injured. Yes it a "game" buts its playing a game that can really hurt. So, put the leash either in the small of your back or slightly under your butt/upper thigh and sit back in it. It really helps "lock" you and the dog in place. Here is a video of my GF working our dog Heidi. Look at how she "posts up". She does a great job(can you tell I'm proud of her). She has only been doing this since January so its not like she has been doing this forever and a pro. Heidi Protection 4-20-13 - YouTube At about 1:48 in you can see the post position better.

Barking for the toy/tug. A lot of handlers leave it up to the helper to "make the dog bark". I don't. Yes as a helper I do all I can to make dogs bark but handlers can do this as well. Find something he really wants. If it's his ball then play a minute then get him amped for it and then keep it still and out of reach. If he barks give it to him. If he doesn't repeat. Once you get him to bark once, then make him bark twice before he gets it and so on. He will begin to learn that when he barks he gets what he wants. With one of my dogs I did it with string cheese. My new puppy I was able to use anything (he was easy).
Yeah, being a post is so important (and I am reminded of this LOL) so I feel bad that I am totally sucking with holding him. I just need to work on that position with the leash, and finding the spot where it works. Very hard in the moment with a dog in drive and so much going on, LOL Your gf is doing great, glad there is hope! Lol, and awesome that she's only started recently.

With the barking, I have been working on what you described. I tie his long line to a tree and tease him, but so far, he is reluctant to bark. I know we will get there...He just seems confused because up until now he's not been allowed to bark, haha. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
My hidden tug is about 1x10-12 with a crease in the middle so it folds up nice.

I may have got caught up in the moment about the color haha. But seriously about the material. I have seen a dog on an escape bite and say oh no that's not my sleeve and ran around until it found a linen sleeve then carried that back to the helper like okay, this one is mine. Kinda funny unless your the handler haha.
Haha ^ thats hilarious...I mean it wouldnt be if my dog did it during a trial..

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
Anyone know what size obedience tab is best? Is 8in or 12in best? Is 3/8 or 5/8 too thin? (I think i'd prefer it thinner, but just trying to get an idea of what everyone uses..)

It really depends on the dog. They are easy to make so I have a 4,6,8,and 12 inch. For Heidi we use the shorter ones because she gets really irritated if it swings around and hits her in the face. I use 3/8 leather. The smaller the better for me.

For getting him to bark, you don't need to back tie him if your doing it yourself. Just build frustration and don't let him get it. Sometimes a high value treat is easiest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page