SchH Tracking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

SchH Tracking

Berlin and I learned how to track this weekend. I gotta say....I really enjoy it, as does he. Goodness he gets so excited when he sees the flags and gets right to work. Its fascinating to watch. He got the scent pads down pretty quick. Ive been doing 3-6 of em a day...how many a day is good? How long do I do these scent pads for?

Ive also been doing them in various types of grass...plush, long, short, thinned out grass. How many days do I have to wait until the scent from my previous scent pad is gone? Right now the scent pads are about 2x2 or 3x2 feet big. How long should I age them for? Right now Ive just been aging them less than 10 mins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Crowned Member

I usually do them for at least a week. With a baby puppy I'd do them longer, but starting a more adolescent dog, if he's got the drive and the instinct I don't do them to death. Doing them in different types of cover is good. I usually did about 3 at a time. You don't want to bore the dog or wear him out. I think mine were usually about 4x4'. You want to see the dog working methodically, with drive but not hectic, keeping his head down (not looking up at you, looking at distractions), and see that when he hits the edge and finds no food he self-corrects and goes back into the scent.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I started my pup at 10-11 weeks doing scent boxes. We did 2 at a time 3-4 days a week. We just moved in to a forward track, about 15-20 meters. He did great.

It depends on how old your puppy is. I would not over do it. A few reps a few times a week. If he is older you can progress faster. But make sure that he really has an understanding of what is being asked.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Knighted Member

I would say to go ahead and advance your dog to straight line tracking. If you haven't already done so look for Gary patterson's book, Tracking, from the beginning. It has a lot of very good stuff you can put right to use.

I try to track at least 3 times a week.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Crowned Member

I just started with Ilda on tracking on the advice of a member here (thanks again Q!).

I had some people tell me it's boring but I really like it too! It is facsinating to watch and my trainer was pleased with Ilda's natural responses/instincts. She is methodical, careful and doesn't wander far out of the box at all. I've always called her my earth dog so here's something we can do that's pretty low impact on her hips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
Berlin and I learned how to track this weekend. I gotta say....I really enjoy it, as does he. Goodness he gets so excited when he sees the flags and gets right to work. Its fascinating to watch. He got the scent pads down pretty quick. Ive been doing 3-6 of em a day...how many a day is good? How long do I do these scent pads for?

Ive also been doing them in various types of grass...plush, long, short, thinned out grass. How many days do I have to wait until the scent from my previous scent pad is gone? Right now the scent pads are about 2x2 or 3x2 feet big. How long should I age them for? Right now Ive just been aging them less than 10 mins.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would do no more than 3 boxes or short tracks per day. How many days per week depends on the drive level of your puppy. You want the pup searching strongly each time and still wanting more when you end.

I track my puppies and dogs 3-5 times per week.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Crowned Member

I was wondering about GSDLovers question about 'aging' the scent pads too.

How long and....

I trample the vegetation a bit and put down hot dog bits and 15 minutes later the dang fire ants (didn't see any mounds nearby...blasted little bugs..) anyhoo the fire ants were on at least half of the hot dog bits within minutes.

Is it o.k. to wait to put down the food in the box 'til just before?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Knighted Member

For puppies or new dogs, I age 10-15 mins - for IPO1 age 15-20mins and work up.

Use Natural balance food rolls or BilJac tubes cut up into small cubes. Don't use hotdogs - too much sodium, and unhealthy - will make an adverse impact when you start laying longer tracks

Last edited by qbchottu; 05-02-2013 at 01:39 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I usually lay my adult dog tracks, then lay my puppy tracks, come back and run the puppies so they may age 10-15 minutes. Some days less and some days more. If I want them to age more I just lay their tracks first and then do my other dog's.

Once my dogs are doing real tracks I rarely worry about age. I might do a few less aged tracks before I do my IPO1 and some 40 minute tracks before the 2, but most are 30-90 minutes old.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Crowned Member

O.K. but something tells me the dang ants will like biljac too. You living in the south have probably run into this too.

Do you have to age the boxes with the food in them?

The reason I ask is apparently fireants are good scent trackers too and can take over a box in a matter of 10 minutes as I found out. Putting food down in the box right before using it is O.K. or not?

(btw I do use low fat turkey hot dogs....but I get what you are saying )

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
For puppies or new dogs, I age 10-15 mins - for IPO1 age 15-20mins and work up.

Use Natural balance food rolls or BilJac tubes cut up into small cubes. Don't use hotdogs - too much sodium, and unhealthy - will make an adverse impact when you start laying longer tracks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page