"Automatic outs" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

"Automatic outs"

So recently I have been noticing a trend with a few bite sports where the dogs are automatically outing once the helper/decoy locks up. Is this a desired behavior? What are your reasons for doing this/not doing this?

I will start. One of the groups I train with said yes because "that's the way the Germans have done it". Well that's not reason enough for me. I refuse to have my dogs auto out for one reason. Yes I train sport but I try to keep my dogs as "real" as possible. I look at it like this. If my dog bites a real bad guy and he stops moving then my dog outs, then it gives the bad guy a chance/reason to start running again. That means my dog is going to engage again and take a second bite causing more damage that my dog and myself are liable for. Plus at that point if a guy is running away then he is no longer a threat and now I'm really screwed. So I will not teach an auto out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

I hate to see it. Right up there with a dog who tucks his forelegs in from being "swept" too much.
People have told me they would rather have a too quick, clean out than have slow outs.....
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's what I have heard to and I hate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

Don't really like it, prefer the dog to fight until I say out. In fact I think I'd rather have a dog that is like "aus!" (count one one thousand) and the dog outs, than a dog who is thinking about outing and waiting for the helper to act like he's locked up. You can always work on a faster/cleaner out on command. In what context is the dog outing before the command useful or desireable? I believe in some sports (SDA?) the dog MUST fight until the out command is given. Similarly in SDA when doing the alerting exercises the dog MUST remain barking/alerting until he is recalled (even if the decoy is walking away and going back into a blind). You turn the dog on, you turn the dog off. Makes sense to me.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Don't really like it, prefer the dog to fight until I say out. In fact I think I'd rather have a dog that is like "aus!" (count one one thousand) and the dog outs, than a dog who is thinking about outing and waiting for the helper to act like he's locked up. You can always work on a faster/cleaner out on command. In what context is the dog outing before the command useful or desireable? I believe in some sports (SDA?) the dog MUST fight until the out command is given. Similarly in SDA when doing the alerting exercises the dog MUST remain barking/alerting until he is recalled (even if the decoy is walking away and going back into a blind). You turn the dog on, you turn the dog off. Makes sense to me.

You are correct. This weekend I saw a couple dogs lose points for outing too early. I'm with you, I don't want the dog to anticipate the out. I'm just seeing this auto out stuff everywhere lately so I thought I would ask.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Elite Member

I do believe, a new rule discourages this for IPO as well... The rules state there must be a "transition" (my interpretation: fighting) phase between the lock-up and the out.

I like scrappy dogs personally. I like a dog that might be a bit dirty and slow to out but is fighting till the end. I like a dog that acts as if he's thinking "Locking up and freezing ain't going to get you out of this one buddy..." I usually have him fight for a while. NO out. Escape, fight, drive, fight. Then maybe I'll out. If my dog starts having outing problems we might work on that specifically but I *personally* wouldn't teach auto out to a dog just because he has outing trouble.

But I have seen auto outs taught on certain dogs because their handlers preferred it that way. If those handlers were still at our club I might have asked them why, but now my curiosity is piqued. I'd love to hear someone's reasons for being pro auto-out
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

I would think the auto-out would be helpful points-wise for a dog who regrips/chews/thrashes or performs other points losing behaviors after the lock-up but before the out.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

This will now lose you points in IPO. I believe it's been reworded that your dog should not out until given the command.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
You are correct. This weekend I saw a couple dogs lose points for outing too early. I'm with you, I don't want the dog to anticipate the out. I'm just seeing this auto out stuff everywhere lately so I thought I would ask.
Yes, even though you lose points per the rules, people are still training it.

And maybe sometimes it is just the dog?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Knighted Member

We have several members that train the automatic out. They would rather loose a few points for too quick an out than DQ for no out. One very strong club dog DQed last year at the se regional for not outing. I am sure that was very aggrevating after all that training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page