Night Tracking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Night Tracking

Who night Tracks? Last night I took my dog night tracking for the first time. 600 paces. 4 turns. two articles. Tiny food drops randomly through out, never closer than 15 paces together. He tracked better than ever. He was slower, more methodical. Deeper nose. Hit every corner perfectly. One time I even realized I forgot something in the car so I dropped the leash and ran back to the car and left him tracking. When I got back he was still going. I don't think he ever lifted his head while I was gone. He missed the first article that I dropped but downed on the second. During one part of the track, the terrain got very dry and weedy. It was towards the end of the track. For about 10 paces he acted like he lost the trail but he never got more than a dog length off the trail and eventually found it again. I never said a word until we got to the end (where the last article was). He did great and I was very happy. Anyone else night track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Crowned Member

I track at night a lot. I see the same things... Less distraction/more methodical. Less wind and fresh dew plays into it, as well as weakening the ability to use the eyes

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

I tracked at night early in the spring(snow was gone for a day or two)
I should do it more often!
As Hunter posted, the eyes aren't used as much as the olfactory. But the critters come out, so there is some distraction(even early in the am, the animals are moving and their fresh scent across the tracks are a distraction)
Still, something great to train for!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM

It's something I would love to try. How dark was it when you tracked, presumably not pitch dark and you could walk around without the need for lighting?

I'm trialling my dog next weekend for Obedience and Tracking portions of IPO1 so I may try some nighttime tracking after that.

I tracked this morning right over an area of ground where a beach soccer tournament was held over the weekend. I remember doing the same thing about a year ago and she could not stay on track. With all the barefoot soccer players running around, people sitting/eating food on the sidelines, it's a tough challenge for the dog to stay committed to the track. This time she did really well, hit all the corners and articles. After the track was done I let her loose and she was all over the place digging into the sand and sniffing around. I was pretty happy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

It was dusk when I layed out the track and completely dark when we ran the track. I did not use a flashlight. I made mental notes of the terrain for the corners and just trusted my dog to find them in the dark which he did.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 AM

I don't night track but I often track in the dark before work... I lay the track with a headlamp and run the track in the dark, go home and get ready for work :-)

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page