schH rant.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

schH rant..

This has been bothering me for three weeks, so here it goes.

Most of you know that I have been trying to get involved in schH with my WGSL boy, Berlin. Well, I went and visited a club a month or so ago, and got invited to bring him to be evaluated. Now keep in mind, this club is dominated by WL's, but whatever, if my dog had it, great, if not, we'd keep looking. The people were nice, I liked the training, I liked everything about it actually.

I bring him for his evaluation, and he did great (so I was told) and they seemed like they wanted us to train there and what not, seemed really surprised at how he did etc. So, it looked promising, or so I thought. Well, I left there on good terms that day, expecting to come train the following weekend, but after sending a few emails with no response, I guess not. They never responded back, ever. I thought maybe they didnt receive them, so I sent again, but alas, almost a month later, still no response.

I was not about to drive an hour away either to find out they were training at a different location, so I didnt just 'show up'.

I guess my problem here is the lack of professionalism. We're all adults here, if you dont like my dog and dont want him training with you guys, then just tell me that and we move on. But to just ignore someone? I dont get it. I really hope not all people in these clubs are like this...

Did they have me bring him out as a joke? Did they want to see how terrible a showline is and embarrass us?

Im a bit bummed I guess, but Id rather not give my money to people like that, unfortunate it went this way for other reasons as well.

On a different note, I am going to visit the Chicago Schutzhund Verein (?) hopefully this weekend, and I think that club will be a better fit for us anyways...I really like their philosophies and Berlin will fit in there, and we can train for conformation as well as IPO.

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Elite Member

If your ever in Gainesville Fl, your welcome to come train with us.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
Carlotta O'Neill
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member

Who were you e-mailing? I know someone in that club, I can check with that person.

There are always going to be communication break downs and it sucks. Last time I went to my club I drove almost three hours (one way) and no one showed up. There WAS an e-mail that went out about the time and location and I knew of a few people who were not going to be there, but the majority never responded (as in the helpers never said they weren't coming) and no one cancelled training. I hung out for over an hour (and I was already late because of my distance) and finally someone else showed up (she drove 1.5hrs) so we did obedience together but didn't have any helpers. It's super frustrating and I'm still miffed I wasted like $50 in gas but I guess it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Knighted Member

I'm sorry Katie. At least you tried and were willing to give it a try. I still don't have the nerve to bring my WGSL boy to a club, maybe one of these days when I have a bit more time on my hands.
I would be pretty miffed if I put that much time and energy and not get any response from them, I would definitely be taking my business somewhere else!
I hope the new club works out for you and Berlin. I think they just didn't want a WGSL showing then up, lol

Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

Don't be discouraged. Just so you know, EVERY schutzhund club I visited never responded to emails

SchH club one - the TD was an older guy who told us that he is terrible with computers and emails
SchH club two - the TD and president are always busy with private clients during the week and are just bad at returning emails
SchH club three - eh I don't remember.

Can you call the TD or president of the club? Do you have their phone number or any way to get in touch with them? I understand your lack of desire to drive an hour out of your way without knowing if they are even going to be there. I wouldn't have drove that far without knowing what's going on either. But, with all that said, maybe just make a day of it. Drive over there on their training day and tell them how excited you are about joining the club and training but are unsure if they want to you to join, due to lack of communication. Don't be combative, but state your case.

We all have a tendency to assume the worst in other people, but more likely than not it was just a miscommunication or something.

For the record, we do have some nice SL dogs working in our club. We don't usually care what lines the dog comes from, just how he / she and the handler work

Good luck to you and don't give up if you are interested in schutzhund!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

I really do not think this is a show line issue.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

More than likely it has nothing to do with you or your dog. My schH club only allows visitors once a month unless club votes and agrees to invite them more often. Basically if we think the HUMAN is a club prospect. Not the dog. Dog's change all the time then you are still stuck with the same old humans.

I agree with you, the lack of communication is unprofessional. That being said they don't get paid to be there so is it really a profession? If schH is something you want to do then by all means keep looking into clubs and find one you like. Once you prove you're serious and that you put the time in, things will change. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

Also I've done several events hosted by Chicago SchH Verein and was planning to train with them over a vacation but did not because of a health problem. Ray has always been very responsive via e-mail and will definitely help with the show aspect.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Banned

Yeah this is the issue with dealing with a club...any club. Unless they have their own dedicated space, sometimes its hard to track them down unless you're "in" and you communicate with those people outside of the club. It most likely has nothing to do with your dog, and Schutzhund has a history of being unwelcoming to new people and outsiders, but then there are email issues as well.

If there has been any kind of change over with the leadership of the club, the [email protected] email might be linked to someone who isn't even there anymore. Or they might've seen it, meant to respond after work, and then forgot (I do that all the time).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Crowned Member

Not sure where the communication broke down but.....watch your e-mail Katie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page