Preparation for Schutzhund/IPO - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Omar Little's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 230
Preparation for Schutzhund/IPO

Hello - I am a few (5?) months out from getting my first GSD pup. I want to get started in Schuthund/IPO when the time is right and I'm trying to prepare myself. I have been meeting with a local club, watching training sessions and I went to my first trial this weekend (SO COOL!). I will continue to do that and ask as many questions as I can. My question though is more related to what I should do with my pup to get myself (and him) prepared for IPO training? Like from the day I get him home (and leading up to that point), where do I start and what do I do? Puppy classes, local obedience and dog training, etc? Or could local training classes (a step above petsmart) do more harm then good when it comes to IPO? I'm sure there's things you can do at home to start the training as well. I'll be looking for lots of videos and maybe books over the next few months on that. They need to make a "Starting in Schutzhund for Dummies" book...

I see a lot of people ask when a good time to start official training and have learned that there is no straight forward answer to that question.

Donnie

Blackthorn's Ulyssa (Lyssa) - 6/30/13
Casey: Cairn Terrier (2006)
Beezer: 1995-2010
Omar Little is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Crowned Member
 
Gwenhwyfair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,666
In blue, I can help with that a little bit!

.

Try checking out some of the Leerburg/Micheal Ellis videos on starting puppies.

Leerburg Dog Training | Puppy Training DVDs

A book that breaks the OB down into easily understood steps is:

http://www.amazon.com/Schutzhund-Obedience-Training-Sheila-Booth/dp/0966302028

(I got the best results going with trainers involved in protection sports...)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Hello - I am a few (5?) months out from getting my first GSD pup. I want to get started in Schuthund/IPO when the time is right and I'm trying to prepare myself. I have been meeting with a local club, watching training sessions and I went to my first trial this weekend (SO COOL!). I will continue to do that and ask as many questions as I can. My question though is more related to what I should do with my pup to get myself (and him) prepared for IPO training? Like from the day I get him home (and leading up to that point), where do I start and what do I do? Puppy classes, local obedience and dog training, etc? Or could local training classes (a step above petsmart) do more harm then good when it comes to IPO? I'm sure there's things you can do at home to start the training as well. I'll be looking for lots of videos and maybe books over the next few months on that. They need to make a "Starting in Schutzhund for Dummies" book...

I see a lot of people ask when a good time to start official training and have learned that there is no straight forward answer to that question.
Gwenhwyfair is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member
 
mycobraracr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,847
I agree with Gwen, schH obedience is not the same as pet ob. I would either start with a club right when you get the puppy or at least a trainer that has experience in protection sports. Besides the others mentioned, I would also look into Ivan Balabanov dvd's.
mycobraracr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Master Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gettysburg,PA
Posts: 885
You are well ahead of the curve by checking out and learning about the sport BEFORE getting a puppy.

To answer your question; to me the most important thing to do with a young puppy is to play. They must learn how to interact in play with the handler. If you have a puppy that will play vigorously with the handler everything else will fall into place when he is a little older.

And no, I would not suggest puppy classes or local training for your IPO prospect. What you are looking to get from the dog in IPO is much different from the average pet owner that these sorts of classes are geared towards.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zahnburg is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member
 
Gwenhwyfair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,666



(as an aside, even for our basic all breed OB class the trainer was involved in, helper for, SchH and the techniques he used for basic OB seem to be good for all breeds. I know this is a generalization, good and bad apples in all spectrums, but it's been my experience that a trainer involved in protection sports is usually better at reading dogs and if a good communicator makes for a good instructor in OB?)


Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I agree with Gwen, schH obedience is not the same as pet ob. I would either start with a club right when you get the puppy or at least a trainer that has experience in protection sports. Besides the others mentioned, I would also look into Ivan Balabanov dvd's.

Gwenhwyfair is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Omar Little's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Berks County, PA
Posts: 230
Good suggestions, thanks!

Donnie

Blackthorn's Ulyssa (Lyssa) - 6/30/13
Casey: Cairn Terrier (2006)
Beezer: 1995-2010
Omar Little is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Elite Member
 
gsdlover91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,995
Socialize, socialize, and socialize some more. Seriously, socialization is SO important for IPO! You want your dog to be exposed to all kinds of people/dogs/stimuli/situations etc.

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
gsdlover91 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Master Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gettysburg,PA
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
Socialize, socialize, and socialize some more. Seriously, socialization is SO important for IPO! You want your dog to be exposed to all kinds of people/dogs/stimuli/situations etc.
0

To play devil's advocate for just a moment. At the bare minimum what does the dog need to be familiar with for IPO? The kennel, the crate in the car and the field.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zahnburg is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Elite Member
 
gsdlover91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnburg View Post
0

To play devil's advocate for just a moment. At the bare minimum what does the dog need to be familiar with for IPO? The kennel, the crate in the car and the field.
At the bare minimum, true. But, a dog exposed to many different situations and things can help so that the dog is confident in new/unfamiliar situations, and places such as the IPO field. Not always the case, and not all dogs need socialization/exposure i guess, genetics plays a huge part, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC

Last edited by gsdlover91; 04-07-2013 at 10:29 PM.
gsdlover91 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Master Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gettysburg,PA
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
but it certainly doesn't hurt.
Of course it doesn't.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zahnburg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome