Car crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Car crate

Okay Schutzhund people.... What kind of crate to use for the car? Need one by next Sunday. Preferably one that is not crazy expensive, and will last.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Aiden is 80-85lbs and I use a 36" wire crate in the car.

Car setup by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Edit: Should add that the crate was about $65 I think and it lasts well for us because Aiden is really well behaved in the crate (not a big spinner/chewer/digger etc)

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

It really depends on the dog and what fits. I have two 450s airline crate side by side... and can thrown a third 36"inch wire crate in the back.
Make sure it is balanced and doesn't flip when you drive... learned that the hard way.... poor pup was standing in a sideways crate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the replies. Alexis, I'm glad to see someone using a wire crate! I use that for his crate at home...and it is still pretty much in perfect condition. Most of the dogs at the club today were in the carrier type ones...and I was just worried he'd get bored and try to chew those.

I have a Saturn Vue, with nothing in the trunk so it'd fit back there...these types of crates you want smaller than one for the house correct?

And another question...do you guys give your dogs anything to entertain themselves while they are in there?

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Alexis, I'm glad to see someone using a wire crate! I use that for his crate at home...and it is still pretty much in perfect condition. Most of the dogs at the club today were in the carrier type ones...and I was just worried he'd get bored and try to chew those.

I have a Saturn Vue, with nothing in the trunk so it'd fit back there...these types of crates you want smaller than one for the house correct?

And another question...do you guys give your dogs anything to entertain themselves while they are in there?
I think crate size is just preference/what fits in the car best. I don't have anything in the crate at all except a bath mat on the pan. In that picture, I happened to have the bath mat in the washing machine, so the blanket was an exception lol.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Depends on whether your dog is a crate buster while other dogs are being worked. The wire crate will last about 2 seconds with a high drive dog in it.

Interests:
Police K9/Explosive Detection/IPO/Ring
Working GSD/Malinois

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am not schutzhund people but SAR and our dogs spend a lot of crate time

It was well worth the money to spend on a welded aluminum crate. We were fortunate when my car was on a slant and the dog's leg (Grim) went between the wire and the crate pan. It took a strong man reaching into his crate pushing up on him while I was feeding his paw back through the opening. It could easily have been a broken leg and would be had he not been the most amazing dog he was (whenever he was hurt he let us help him instead of thrashing about)

So

I refuse to travel a dog in a wire crate. I would use a vari-kennel but the welded aluminum is, to me, the one that will protect my dog and is an investment for the next several dogs. I got the Owens 55033 at around $500 it was the least expensive welded crate I could buy. How much would a broken leg have set me back? If money was not an object I would have gone custom.

Actually, at a SAR seminar I did see a dog make short order of a wire crate in the 10 minutes we were all gone doing an excercise and the dog came running up to his handler. I have also seen some team dogs bust crates. So if we carpool I drve and they use my crates instead of vice versa - one slam latch and an upper and lower latch is pretty secure (the new ones only have one slam latch..mmm..) plus I can lock the slam latch with a key which is a nice option some places we have to leave them.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 03-30-2013 at 09:45 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Crowned Member

Crate type really depends on a lot of things, the most important one being how does your dog act? Some dogs bite bars, thrash around, bend the doors, etc. If you've got a dog that is neurotic in a kennel during bitework, you may not have much of a choice.

I use wire crates (except my puppy kennel which is plastic) and have never had an issue. I like wire for many reasons but the main thing is that my dogs have never busted out, destroyed one, or injured themselves on one.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Master Member

Car crate-imageuploadedbypg-free1364703389.219507.jpg
I finally got a metal crate for the back of my truck
Before that I used it use a 36" vari kennel held down with ratchet straps

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Crowned Member

I have 2 36" crates side by side.

Divider is not usually there between the crates... Zefra was in heat so I used a 48" metal crate pan as a divider between Stark and here in this photo.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page