Visiting a club: would you go without your dog first? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Visiting a club: would you go without your dog first?

If you were going to go visit a club for the first time, would you take your dog or not, and why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, German import DOB 6-7-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Elite Member

First time visiting a sch club in the area for me coming up on Saturday, I'm bringing my dog because I want the socialization from it and a potential eval, but she's 13 weeks old.

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Crowned Member

I'd take my dog(crated in the vehicle) and bring him out only when I knew it was ok and after learning the rules.
If I was asked to leave my dog home, then I'd do so....but as long as you have a crate and the temps aren't extreme, always a good thing to have your dog with you!
Where I train barking is an issue, so a dog barking in a crate is discouraged and bark collars are a necessity for some.
I wouldn't tolerate my dog being noisy, especially if I were visiting a new group/

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Elite Member

Take the dog but dont be offended if nobody meets her. The shutz I went to only one dog alowed out of crates at a time and I was told the dogs are amped up so not socialization time after training.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Crowned Member

Puppies can socialize with the other club members after training is over.
But usually never, ever during a training session...that is for focusing on the handler only.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Knighted Member

Ask if you can take your dog.

If you can, take your dog, crate him during training, bring him out when they ask, and have him evaluated.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Elite Member

I got invited to visit the club in the area, and they told me not to bring my dog for the first visit. If I liked the club, and was still interested, they said then I'd bring my dog the next time to see if he likes it.

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Puppies can socialize with the other club members after training is over.
But usually never, ever during a training session...that is for focusing on the handler only.
Yeah thats exactly what they told me

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would ask the club what they want you to do. Our club wants to meet your dog and do some testing so we have you bring them. We do require they be crated, stay in that crate except to potty and are leashed when out.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Crowned Member

Double check on vaccination policy for the club. Bring a copy, as well. Make sure you have a crate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page