Starting a club? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to TxFig Send a message via MSN to TxFig Send a message via Yahoo to TxFig Send a message via Skype™ to TxFig
Starting a club?

I must be one of those really odd people that if something doesn't exist where I am, I tend to try to be a driving force to create it (as opposed to waiting around for someone else to do it).

I have been looking around my area for about 6-9 months for a club in which I could learn, train with, and maybe even sponsor events for my new GSD puppy. Well, I picked up my pup last weekend, but thus far, the nearest thing I've found is a professional training facility about 75 miles away.

Yeah, yeah - I know. Some of you drive much further than that. Maybe I got spoiled because for the last 25 years I raised and trained retrievers and you couldn't spit without hitting a local club in my area (in that same 75 mile radius there are EIGHT retriever clubs, and that's just counting the performance-only ones).

Anyway, I digressed. I want to start a club here in my hometown of Bryan/College Station, TX for people interested in working toward IPO or similar events for GSDs, BMs, etc.

Anyone done something similar? Advice?
Constructive Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Elite Member

Just wanted to say that I wish someone started a club in Tampa Bay/ St Pete. Would love to know and learn from other GSD owners.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Crowned Member

Myself along with a small group of people have been trying to get an IPO club off the ground for the past 3 years. We JUST RECENTLY were able to get property in the area we want but still do not have a proper club helper. We think now that we secured the property it will be easier as this was our main issue with everyone who came out.

Anyways, we have 2 clubs in our area (within 2 hours drive) whom have guided us and helped us along the way - not many clubs will do this - trust me, we have had to learn this the hard way - nor will they take kindly to others starting up a club so close by (anything within 5 hours is close it seems like).

We also contacted VERY EARLY on in our "research time" the GSSCC (German Shepherd Club of Canada) and spoke to a few representatives and a few other "high up's" and they also were able to guide us in the right direction and put us in touch with people who could help and also tell us if we were crazy or not!

It has been an on-going project/fight/frustration but I know when we actually do become a full fledged club with the GSSCC it will be all worth it. We still have to secure a helper, register non-profit (these things are in the works already FINALLY!) and hold a sanction trial (which will more than likely be done next spring/summer/fall? ).

If you have the drive and energy and time to do it, it can work but be prepared... it is A LOT of work.

We also have a fun group that my best friend and I created called KW German Shepherd Club which is just local GSD owners that can walk, train and support one another in our region. So far we have had a lot of fun and enjoy meeting new people and their dogs!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, you can see our new (and under construction) websites below in my signature - we also have a facebook group which helps bring in members.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Crowned Member

op, good for you for taking this into your own hands. i have no advice but wish you the best.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Just wanted to say that I wish someone started a club in Tampa Bay/ St Pete. Would love to know and learn from other GSD owners.
You should start a group! Training in parks is doable, if you are just doing some obedience and tracking. Sometimes running an ad on CL gets some notice or starting a local GSD facebook page.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
You should start a group! Training in parks is doable, if you are just doing some obedience and tracking. Sometimes running an ad on CL gets some notice or starting a local GSD facebook page.
Great idea, I am a website designer and can manage a facebook page. So I will try to get something going!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KB007
I know I have mentioned this before but Bryan is my hometown. Always weird to "see" someone on the internet from there!

Anywho, I would contact a club nearby, maybe Houston, to get info on how to start. Good thing is you have the experience from the Retriever clubs.

Rocky - GSD 6/21/2003
Toto - Rat Terrier 10/2002-9/2014
Layla Vom True Haus - 12/09/2012
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

Somethings to think about. Make a list of all the equipment you will need. You will be flabergasted at what you need just for basic.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFig View Post
I must be one of those really odd people that if something doesn't exist where I am, I tend to try to be a driving force to create it (as opposed to waiting around for someone else to do it).

I have been looking around my area for about 6-9 months for a club in which I could learn, train with, and maybe even sponsor events for my new GSD puppy. Well, I picked up my pup last weekend, but thus far, the nearest thing I've found is a professional training facility about 75 miles away.

Yeah, yeah - I know. Some of you drive much further than that. Maybe I got spoiled because for the last 25 years I raised and trained retrievers and you couldn't spit without hitting a local club in my area (in that same 75 mile radius there are EIGHT retriever clubs, and that's just counting the performance-only ones).

Anyway, I digressed. I want to start a club here in my hometown of Bryan/College Station, TX for people interested in working toward IPO or similar events for GSDs, BMs, etc.

Anyone done something similar? Advice?
Constructive Advice?
Biggest resource you will need is the dedicated and interested people in the sport. You can have all the equipment in the world and the great training location but without the people all you'll be able to do is back tie your dog and do your own helper work and set up cones for a group.

Unlike Field of Dreams just because you build it doesn't mean they'll come.

Keith Jenkins
Excalibur vom Herrschaft SchH3,FH,StP.3,BH,TD
Breitta v. Schwarzen Kobold BH,TR1
Argus von der Aunkst SchH3,BH,AD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page