IPObservations Episode 1: The Elegance of IPO - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

IPObservations Episode 1: The Elegance of IPO

This is my latest and most ambitious project, IPObservations, a webseries that I'm hoping to do looking at interesting or topical aspects of IPO Dog Sport in a fun, light hearted way.

Please share this on your facebook pages, forums or whatever else you can share it on and leave feedback or ideas for future episodes!

Thanks.

Ash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

Loved the video!
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Wonderful!! BEST explanation and demonstration of what IPO is, EVER!

Looking forward to further installments.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 PM

I really liked the style
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Wonderful!! BEST explanation and demonstration of what IPO is, EVER!

Looking forward to further installments.
Thanks! Thats a pretty big compliment!

But what would you like to SEE in further installments? I'd like to do a smaller topic in greater detail but I don't know what I want to do next!?

Ash.

|
|
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:34 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hmm, not sure if my suggestions are in line with what you have in mind - are you thinking of breaking down the parts of different exercise and examining them closely, or are you thinking more about the dog/handler team and what how training is a balancing act between controlling the dog without squashing the joy of working.

You coud examine the many different ways a dog is rewarded in training, and how the work in and of itself, by taping into the dog's drives is a reward for them.

Raising an IPO puppy - what makes a dog a good candidate?

How demanding the OB exercises are in terms of keeping focus and staying in drive.

What "good temperament" really means in this context, and how the dogs strengths and weakness are uncovered through the incremental increase in pressure that comes from training - pressure not only in the form of the helper facing off with the dog, but the pressure of maintaining focus and controlling drives while consciously ignoring distractions in tracking and obedience.

How a puppy is developed and brought along and built up to bring out all the strength and confidence in them.

What experienced people can tell from watching a dog in training and being worked - things like working in prey drive vs. defense drive, going along for the ride vs. actively pushing the helper and actively fighting . . .

These are difficult concepts for newbies to understand, but a fun, fast paced video with examples (yin and yang again) would be so informative!

Really like your sense of humour, and the indept but easy to understand commentary.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

I have never watched an almost 6 minute video before, ever.

I like the pace - it was all - elegant.

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Crowned Member

This is REALLY nice! The content is great but I like the style and the bits of humor. I'll probably share this with my extended family who always think I'm swearing at them when I talk about "Schutzhund" training.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Crowned Member

I loved your video!! Job well done my friend
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Hmm, not sure if my suggestions are in line with what you have in mind - are you thinking of breaking down the parts of different exercise and examining them closely, or are you thinking more about the dog/handler team and what how training is a balancing act between controlling the dog without squashing the joy of working.

You coud examine the many different ways a dog is rewarded in training, and how the work in and of itself, by taping into the dog's drives is a reward for them.

Raising an IPO puppy - what makes a dog a good candidate?

How demanding the OB exercises are in terms of keeping focus and staying in drive.

What "good temperament" really means in this context, and how the dogs strengths and weakness are uncovered through the incremental increase in pressure that comes from training - pressure not only in the form of the helper facing off with the dog, but the pressure of maintaining focus and controlling drives while consciously ignoring distractions in tracking and obedience.

How a puppy is developed and brought along and built up to bring out all the strength and confidence in them.

What experienced people can tell from watching a dog in training and being worked - things like working in prey drive vs. defense drive, going along for the ride vs. actively pushing the helper and actively fighting . . .

These are difficult concepts for newbies to understand, but a fun, fast paced video with examples (yin and yang again) would be so informative!

Really like your sense of humour, and the indept but easy to understand commentary.
Those are some really good suggestions. If theres one thing I've learned recently is people are far more interested in seeing pups and young dogs training than seeing the finished product, even if the puppy stuff is really basic!

The few ideas I've got swimming around my head are things like 'Making puppies tough', 'What is the helpers job?', 'Tracking Attitudes', 'Active Dog, Reactive Helper'.

I don't really want to tell people how to train their dogs, I'm more interested in promoting the sport and highlighting interesting things that don't normally get discussed.

I'm also interested in debunking myths and misconceptions. Theres plenty of those around!

I can't decide...

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page