In your opinion, whats the best way to start? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

In your opinion, whats the best way to start?

So often on here we read about people saying they are getting a new puppy and want to get into schH or another protection sport. So I thought I would start a thread on some of the best ways you have found to start.

I will lead off by talking about my house hold. I started with a puppy I had just purchased. It has been a long and bumpy road but I have learned a lot along the way. I have learned how to train this dog and I have learned a lot about my dogs strengths and weaknesses. I have also been limited to learning at my dogs pace rather than my own. I have been held back in some experiences such as trials and some handling technique because I have been focused on raising the dog.

Now for my GF to get started I brought in an already titled adult dog. The dog already knows what to do so all my GF has to focus on is enforcing the command, working with the dog and all other handling skills. She missed out on some of the training techniques but is still learning some of it by enforcing the dog or teaching the dog how to work with her. I'm not gonna lie, my GF is already a 100 times better handler than me and I have been at a year longer than her.

So that's my experience. What's yours and what do you think the best way is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

I'm a control freak so I'll start with puppies. I like the feeling of having been responsible for accomplishing everything (I won't say accomplishing everything "alone" because I can't do it without a good club and people to train with). Also I love working with puppies, they are like sponges.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

I think when they are puppies the obedience and bonding will make or break what sports can or will be done later. Once you have that obedience and bond, the rest works itself out. I didn't take my dog for an evaluation until she was about 10 months old, but at that point I knew she had a great temperament and a pretty solid obedience., which made me more confident. There is nothing wrong with raising the dog first, so you know how you guys can work together.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

There are some people that could greatly benefit from handling an older already titled/trained dog. I think these people are in the minority. You must train dogs to become a good trainer. I have watched many novice people struggle to get their dog's titled. You watch them and think, maybe it would have been easier if they started with a titled dog. If you look really closely, though, often the issue is the dog is not the right one for the handler. Only exception would be little kids. I think they can definitely benefit from learning to handle first and then training their own later.

I am a puppy person. I like working with and training puppies. Like Lies said, they are just big sponges. I have worked some young dogs and mature dogs for other people, but for myself I will always start with puppies.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I completely agree that you learn more by starting with a puppy. The thing with puppies is you are stuck going to the puppies pace and they are easy to mess up. Sometimes I feel starting with an adult is the way to go. Definately easier. As for bonding I don't think that makes any difference. Starting with an adult or a puppy, both will bond.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Crowned Member

I think the best way to start is getting in with a good club/group and or a good training mentor that you can work one on one with..

You can also learn some stuff from books and videos..

I like having a good training partner.. Someone who can spot you during ob, someone to bounce ideas off of, etc..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-burg View Post
I think the best way to start is getting in with a good club/group and or a good training mentor that you can work one on one with..

You can also learn some stuff from books and videos..

I like having a good training partner.. Someone who can spot you during ob, someone to bounce ideas off of, etc..
I'd love a good (local to me) training partner! It would be great to have that support. And I think it helps in the progression to trial/title.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yup, you will make a lot of mistakes wih a puppy, but you learn fom those mistakes.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:17 PM

from a 'noob' who has never done schutzhund/protection..For me, I'd want to start with a puppy, like Lisa said, I tend to want to learn from my mistakes . I also like learning along with my new puppy

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page