Do you let your Sch dogs play with your "pet" dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Do you let your Sch dogs play with your "pet" dogs?

So, I've been doing a lot of Sch research recently as this is something I would like to try with my next GSD pup.

One thing that I came across that no one seemed to agree on is if Sch dogs can play/interact with the non-Sch dogs in the house.

When I was in SAR training, the head trainer stated that neither of his dogs had ever interracted with one another outside of the occasional 'pass and sniff', but past that, nothing. Another one of the group members that I really respected had her own personal pack of I think six dogs. She said they all played with one another constantly and all lived inside. Both the head trainer's dogs and the other members' dogs performed their jobs without an issue.

There was another dog in our house while we were training and they had full access to one another and got along famously. The one dog was well over 10, so they weren't rough housing, but they would play in the backyard together. I never had any issue with Finn and training; it was like he understood that it was time for "work". His entire demeanour changed from being a goofball to being truly aloof and just not caring about anyone or anything around him except for me.

So, do you allow your dogs to interract with one another, or are they only allowed to have an accidental 'pass and sniff', but stay sequestered until it's training/trial time?

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Crowned Member

My schH dog is with my companion dog almost 24/7 unless we are out training together. They usually walk with one another as well.

Never had an issue with either dog in training (even if the other dog is present) with focus or performing.

Both of my dogs could care less about any other dog... when we are training, Zefra my "schH dog" is so focused it's scary.. hard to distract her which is great for me being a semi-new handler... lol.

My dogs are companions first and working partners second.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Crowned Member

look at it this way. There are some police dogs who go home and are just another dog that are a part of the family. They play with the other dog(s), possibly have a cat for a friend at home too.

I know if you get in touch with Cheryl Goede on The German Shepherd Dog Community on FB, she's got a couple dogs who are training. Havok (GSD) and Khaos(malinois). From pictures she posts, Havok is always playing with the other dogs when he's not "working".

Depends on who you ask really.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Crowned Member

I think it depends on the dog and the lifestyle and training goals for the handler as well.

If I had a dog and wanted to be the TOP trainer and be on the world team, then the way I raised that dog may look slightly different..

For me, schutzhund is a hobby - one that I devote myself too 100% but it is just still a hobby for me.. I have other interests and do other things with my dogs.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Crowned Member

Yes, my SchH dog is not crated at home and neither is my pet. They are together all day but don't usually interact except for maybe 5 minutes of playing outside when I first get home and they are amped up. They are very good together, just not directly interacting with each other so I've never worried that they like each other more than me or don't have energy left to work.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Elite Member

My Schutzhund dog is my pet dog...he sleeps in my room, snuggles on the couch, and trains daily with me. He also plays, snuggles, lounges with several of our other dogs and our kittens.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Crowned Member

Other than female to female aggression, my dogs in training are pets and live together....at one point, I had 3 titled females who lived together fine, and one male. Rough play is not allowed in the house, but they would be allowed to run together at the farm where my horse is kept...a couple of times a week I would take 3 - 4 dogs out in a back hayfield and let them run while I went around the perimeter of the field..or just run around in a front field. One female would always have a male companion and right now, I have two older titled dogs and 2 cats free in the house. My male could go to training, and even trial with a female in heat in the truck with him and still concentrate on the work when it came time to get on the field....

Dogs are companions first, and working dogs second....work is only a part of their life day to day.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I am like the rest, except, like Lee mentions, females that HATE each other. Elena and Vala hang in he house together, sleep on my bed together and get to run and play together outside. Both dogs, though, push me for attention in the house or out on our runs and both are entirely dog neutral.

Deja used to run and play with Donovan. Now she is an "only" dog when she is out with me. Oddly, now that she doesn't have a buddy to play with I am having a few more issues with her being dog focused in training.

Nike ran with a group as did Treue. When it was time to work it was all about me.

I have met world level competitors that allow dog interaction and others who don't just like some whose competition dogs are also house dog and other have only kennel dogs.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Elite Member

Eyra hangs out with the other two house dogs all day long and no issues at all. They don't really play all that much, the odd wrestling match but that's it. At training or on a search she could care less about other dogs.

Olek is allowed to be free in the house with the other dogs when we are home and he is not particularly interested in them. The odd sniff but that's it. At training he has no interest in any of the other dogs, he is completely focused on the task at hand.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Crowned Member

All three are schutzhund dogs and also companion dogs (companions first and foremost mind you), but they all play together, and they all are in public playing with other dogs frequently

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page