Some IPO questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question Some IPO questions

Bear with me here... I'm a newbie.

I am interested in IPO BUT I'm about to get started in herding... I cannot do both at the same time because of the sheer cost of both(out here herding training is $40 a lesson and that's group classes, private training is more) plus the time commitment, I'm already losing my weekends to herding. I blame my herding trainer, she said I should get my pup involved in Schutz/IPO too.

So questions...

I know most people start IPO training early, if I train in herding and get some titles then stop to try IPO will it be too late if he's over 1-2 years old?

He is NOT a full WL dog, he is a SL/WL cross and I've seen several people here say how difficult a time they have with these dogs in IPO. What type of drive do they need to do this? My dog has a pretty decent prey drive(though not so high that I worry about him killing my cats, he did try to get one of my rabbits though). He loves tug and goes nuts for the flirt pole but other then Those two things his toy drive is pretty low. His pedigree if you're curious, Zephyr's flying Ollie vom Grunenfeld

Is it possible to do an evaluation at a club without joining or starting training or does that vary from place to place?

Anything else you might want to add?

I don't know if this matters at all but I'll just post my video of his herding instinct test if you want to see him in action. He really seemed to love being in with the sheep(that video did not show the whole test only his first two times in with them), never seen him so focused and right now I'd rather do something he really enjoys then what I want. But anyways, thank you for any input you might have!

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Elite Member

I think you can train them at any age, I read on here about a dog who didnt get his SchH1 until he was almost 10. Not sure what makes a good IPO dog. Does he have a lot of SchH/IPO titled dogs in his pedigree? Some things I noticed about Berlin..is his prey drive, eagerness to learn, when I take him outside, he 'tracks' with his nose down the whole time (bear with me here, im a newbie too, but I believe I read in IPO they want the dog to track with their noses down and NOT sniff the air), and his intensity with 'tug'. Read up on it, as I have done hours of research on IPO and the BH and im *still* very lost. hahah. Also, go check out a club and talk with the people there.

Im sure others will chime in, but I posted two threads about IPO and got many good responses, might be worth it to check those out too.

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks, yeah I've been reading over yours too and a few other threads... I just haven't seen anybody here(not saying there isn't just haven't come across it) that didn't start almost right away.

His nose is on the ground A LOT, in fact in his obedience class yesterday I was having a hard time getting him to focus on me because his nose was always on the ground(we were training in a park).

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

This thread is informative on what 'makes a good IPO' dog
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...l-dog-ipo.html
As far as your questions, yes, have him eval'd and the drives should be balanced. Have fun with herding, and if you still want to try IPO when he's mature, he should be fine, but there are exercises that take time to teach. I'd begin tracking now(no cost in that!) and maybe have someone work with you on the retrieves. Of course obedience is ongoing, so if you have a good foundation of obedience, it should carry over to any venue no problem. Sometimes putting too much ob is the issue, dog becomes inhibited and looks to the handler for everything. Confidence is key.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Master Member

For me somewhere between 12 and 18 months is the perfect time to begin training for IPO (all phases).

Art

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member

I started training my male at more than 3 years of age. SL I've had the most trouble getting to engage with intensity, and regripping/bite quality. Both are more just a factor of the lines than the age

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Banned

The reason people start early is that they compete, they do it to a very high level. If you're going to do it just for fun, no problems starting later. You're biggest problem is always going to be cost and time. You might end up falling in love with herding and keep doing that. I'm not sure if you've ever gone to a Schutzhund club to watch training, or a trial to see it in action, but you should really take a look at that before you get all excited about something you've only read about in books or online.

I guess in my opinion...its awesome to have a goal of doing something 2 years from now...but who knows where you'll be 2 years from now and if you'll even have time for Schutzhund.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
The reason people start early is that they compete, they do it to a very high level. If you're going to do it just for fun, no problems starting later.
I compete (well I like to think I do more than dabble for fun), I have titled more than a few dogs; I have shown at the national level and, for me, a bit older (12-18 months) is the ideal time to start.

Art

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnburg View Post
I compete (well I like to think I do more than dabble for fun), I have titled more than a few dogs; I have shown at the national level and, for me, a bit older (12-18 months) is the ideal time to start.
Yeah, I'm competing with my bitch and we started at ~1.5 years

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

I'm trying to compete and started taking my dog to training at 10 weeks...he'll be four in a couple days and we still haven't trialed for the 1. This is his year

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page