Which type of tug/how to practice tracking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Which type of tug/how to practice tracking

I am going to order a tug off of Leerburg I think (or does anyone have anywhere better to order?) Which type of tug is best for an 8 month old???

Is it best to buy dumbells now to practice with? Do the plastic ones work?

What prong collar is best, and which fur saver is best?

(and what is the purpose of a fur saver?)

Also: How do I start practicing tracking with him??? I have a 50 foot lead.

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

Tugs~ I like the two handle synthetic tugs. I got one from fordogtrainers.com and it is still in one piece 3.5 yrs later. I don't know if they still have them however, and I also have a couple from Elite: Synthetic Tug 12"-Elite K-9 I'd also get a couple gappay balls on strings(medium size) Hallmark K9 - Premium Dog Training Equipment - BALLS
Herm Sprenger for the prong and fursaver(fursavers are used in trialing, but the rules have now changed) Either site above will have them, make sure you get the size you'll need for an adult dog(fursaver for males are usually 25" though my male outgrew his 25)

Wait on the dumbbells until you get instruction on how to teach the hold.

For tracking, you won't need a long line, because you'll be close to your dog for several sessions while teaching. The only thing you need to begin is some surveyor flags, and yummy bait.
Get with your club for instruction...remember no training is better than bad training!
Here is a link to some good articles:
Schutzhund Village

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

I prefer French linen with two handles.

You do not need dumbbells now. If you are going to backchain the retrieve usually you start with something else like a wooden dowel or piece of PVC pipe which you can borrow or get from a hardware store. Many people never have dumbbells but just borrow them or use them while at the club. I only have one and it's not a trial dumbbell, just an old training one someone gave me.

For prong I like my curogan prong, the links are 3.25mm I believe. For a fursaver it doesn't really matter. You get what you pay for as far as the metal or alloy used but I have an $8 Fursaver my dog trials wearing and it's fine (several years old, no rust). A Fursaver is required for trialing. As far as the purpose, it just depends on how you train. My dogs rarely wear one in training because they tend to wear a normal leather collar and/or a prong collar.

50' is way overkill for starting tracking. Heck my dog has tracked in two different types of trials and I rarely track more than 15' behind him and use a 20' line in training. You need to start *really* close (like bending over the dog) so you could probably use a normal obedience lead. You need a 33' line for trialing but I personally don't train at that distance until leading up to a trial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the magnitude of information Liesje and onyx girl! Okay so next question then, since im ordering him a tug today, what size? Liesje, where do you get your french linen ones? And thanks ill wait on the dumbbells, was just curious if anyone had trained with plastic ones that they sell on leerburg. So a fursaver isnt necessary right now. I do want to invest in a good quality prong (i bought a cheapie one from petsmart just to see how he did with it). So I will order one of those as well as a tug. Thanks for the info on the prong - helps a lot!

Haha yeah im clueless with the tracking I obviously wasnt going to start with 50 feet, but wasnt sure if they use a 50 foot lead in the trials or not. I have a 6 foot lead, so ill start with that and then work up to a 20 foot one.

onyx'girl, those gappay balls are cool, i will order some of those as well! Where can I get some surveyor flags? I have read about stamping out an area and putting the food there, by stamping they mean with my feet, correct? LOL im definitely new with this. Thanks for the articles! I printed out a bunch of stuff on the obedience and beginning tracking so I just want to start working with him at home to get him started. And I want to introduce a tug with him and try and work on getting him to release on command and what not. I am supposed to go check out the Indian Creek Schutzhund Club next month, so hopefully everything with that goes well.

Again, thank you! You two have helped me tremendously.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Crowned Member

I think my tug is about 8 inches long and 3-4 inches wide. I don't primarily use tugs as rewards though so it might be considered on the bigger side. Normally I order from elitek9 or my club does group orders from hallmarkk9.

I actually used a pet store brand prong collar for years and to be honest there's a lot I like about it more than my Herm Sprenger curogan one. You just want to make sure it has rounded tips, no matter the brand. Mine has never come apart on me while using it while both my HS brand ones have come apart (and yes I know how to fit and use a prong!).

Indian Creek is good, I bought my last dog from the breeders that host the club. I would not do too much before you get hooked up with a club for help. You might even wait on buying gear. Often you can borrow stuff or order through a club and get it cheaper.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Banned

My strongest suggestion is to join a club, get instruction, and then buy whatever they tell you to buy. Do not try and train by yourself without professional help. It's much easier to teach a dog the right way to do something than have to retrain them to do it correctly, especially with tracking.

For the dumbbell...buy some wooden dowels at the hardware store. They'll work great for practice.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I think my tug is about 8 inches long and 3-4 inches wide. I don't primarily use tugs as rewards though so it might be considered on the bigger side. Normally I order from elitek9 or my club does group orders from hallmarkk9.

I actually used a pet store brand prong collar for years and to be honest there's a lot I like about it more than my Herm Sprenger curogan one. You just want to make sure it has rounded tips, no matter the brand. Mine has never come apart on me while using it while both my HS brand ones have come apart (and yes I know how to fit and use a prong!).

Indian Creek is good, I bought my last dog from the breeders that host the club. I would not do too much before you get hooked up with a club for help. You might even wait on buying gear. Often you can borrow stuff or order through a club and get it cheaper.
The prong I bought does have rounded tips, its just one of those easy to put on ones, here this is the one I have: Top Paw® Easy on Prong Training Collar - Collars - Collars, Harnesses & Leashes - PetSmart

Is that one doable for now? It works, its fitted correctly, has the rounded prongs. Yeah this one hasnt come apart on me - shocked that the HS ones have come apart!

Well thanks, I guess i'll hold off on the training and what not - just work on perfecting his obedience, and working with the tug for now. I am supposed to go visit the club this Sunday, hopefully I can make it out there! And Bill Kulla hosts the club, correct? Im excited, his dogs are awesome, and he really seems to know what he's doing with schutzhund! It'd be awesome to learn from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
My strongest suggestion is to join a club, get instruction, and then buy whatever they tell you to buy. Do not try and train by yourself without professional help. It's much easier to teach a dog the right way to do something than have to retrain them to do it correctly, especially with tracking.

For the dumbbell...buy some wooden dowels at the hardware store. They'll work great for practice.
Thanks martemchik, ill hold off on the training - wasnt going to start on much because I dont want to do it wrong anyways! If I buy some dowels, is it okay if I start getting him used to picking them up and stuff? And i am just going to get him used to the idea of sniffing a small track and finding the food. I just want to introduce some of these things to him, in the most basic way possible.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 PM

"remember no training is better than bad training!" best advice ever. I have only done a bit of Schutzhund, son't plan to compete or anything, just the obedience has been helpful to learn from people that know GSDs. the club I go to was a HUGE help. Starting off on the wrong foot with the wrong group is hard to fix down the road. People on this forum have already had the 'bad' experiences and are happy to share what works. You will find what works for you and can leave the rest of it for someone else. All good suggestions from what I've read, most of them I got from here, too.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

I personally don't use anything with plastic buckles. My off-brand prong is still made like an HS prong (and has a few elements that the HS ones do not).

For retrieves you really need to have help with this. There are lots of different methods but it's super important (it's almost half the points of the obedience routine) so you do not want to dabble around with it. Most dogs don't start this until they are a year old or so, some not until after the BH. The dowels are not for picking up, they are for training the hold.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I read about the retrieve, and yeah no idea how to train that, and definitely wasnt planning to by myself! I wasnt sure if it would be helpful to get used to holding the dowel or not. I will just wait on that though. No need to rush anything. Like I said, his obedience is first and foremost....and definitely need work on that!

Any tips for training a reliable down stay? Heel? And how to ignore distractions? (other dogs, people, cars, etc) He barks at distractions.

I have been working on the heel, but it is next to impossible to get him to do it outside where there are distractions. And he never looks at me while we are walking.

Also Liesje, we are training to take the CGC as just a start, but plan on taking the BH afterward. Is it really hard? I printed out everything I need to know about it. When I join a club, they help train for that correct? Also, how/when does he get temperament tested, or does he not need to?

What did you do with your dogs at home when they were this age, to help prepare them for IPO/SchH? Also, dumb question, but if Berlin earns a a title in SchH/IPO, does it HAVE to be IPO? They dont use SchH anymore correct?

And thanks yote, this forum is awesome for advice, ill agree on that. Been so helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page