Advice for my GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Orion's_Girl
Advice for my GSD?

Right now i have a bit of a tough situation. I'm going to be doing lots of moving soon. I'm leaving TX to FL in late March-April-ish, and then i will only be there for 6 months. After that, i don't know the state i'll be in at this time (military life style for ya!!) I have always loved Schutzhund since i discovered it. I think it's amazing, and a great bonding experience for the dog and the handler. My dog just turned 2 this month and he has had some great obedience training from Sit Means Sit. My question is this: what can i do with him outside or at home to start encouraging behaviors used in Schutzhund? He is a very sweet dog, doesn't growl or bite at any other animals. The most aggression i've ever seen out of him is when two dogs (that were small and he didn't know very well) tried to steal his bones and he lunged and made a loud bark. Aside from that, if he feels threatened, he just shows his teeth sometimes. He is very protective of my home though! Lots of barking if he hears something. Once i get settled down in an area i would love to find a Schutzhund group to go practice and train with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:48 AM
Knighted Member

I have to ask how much longer doing what you are doing? And what are you really looking for? It is not hard to find a club and train a dog! Well it takes work to train a dog
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Orion's_Girl
Well my husband is in the military and will be for another 3 years. But we are supposed to only stay at 1 post after we live in florida. So, after i move from florida i'll be living somewhere for 2 years. After that, we should be staying somewhere for a good while! Honestly i'm looking for something that my dog would really enjoy, and i would feel very safe knowing i have a dog that understands commands in protection. I'm not like wanting to turn him into a majorly aggressive dog or anything like that! I also think the more obedience a dog can have, the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion's_Girl View Post
Well my husband is in the military and will be for another 3 years. But we are supposed to only stay at 1 post after we live in florida. So, after i move from florida i'll be living somewhere for 2 years. After that, we should be staying somewhere for a good while! Honestly i'm looking for something that my dog would really enjoy, and i would feel very safe knowing i have a dog that understands commands in protection. I'm not like wanting to turn him into a majorly aggressive dog or anything like that! I also think the more obedience a dog can have, the better.
I know how you feel! Marines and Army here . Hey obedience is the key, the rest is easy. I will help you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page