When To Start Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

When To Start Training

I was wondering. For those that have started your puppies, when have you started their protection training? When is the most optimal time to begin protection training on a dog? This is something that I've always wondered, because you do see some relatively younger dogs competing and I wonder when they were started and when is it normal to start them? Also, what do you do when you first start their training (exercises, etc.)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

Have you visited any clubs yet?

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Have you visited any clubs yet?

No. I don't have a dog that I am going to do protection training with. This is just something that I've wondered and was wondering when everyone else has started their training and what they have done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

You can still visit the clubs and learn

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Banned

Most people that have started early have trained a dog or two before that.

I know people that have a pup (its from one of their litters) they have 3 dogs that are SchH3 so they know what they're doing. They started prey work with most of the pups naturally while playing in the whelping area. The pup they kept, she's 13 weeks old. Has awesome obedience. Knows heel, front, sit, down. It's cool to see. But they know what they're doing and have a well established plan.

A club would lead you towards that goal but you wouldn't reach it as fast. Most people I see doing Schutzhund, start very young with their second dog. They know what kind of behaviors they need to work on in order for the dog to succeed in the future. As a newbie...you'd have no idea what to do without joining a club and getting good training advice IN PERSON.

I started training my boy for competition obedience at around 1 year old (it became obvious I wanted to do it). If I had started earlier, he'd be a lot more advanced, but I didn't know I wanted a competition dog when I got him. The original plan was for a regular stay at home pet.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I start them when they are ready so it depends entirely on the dog.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I start them when they are ready so it depends entirely on the dog.

How do you know they are ready? What do you look for to tell you the dog is ready?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany.cole2013 View Post
How do you know they are ready? What do you look for to tell you the dog is ready?
This is not something that you can explain over the internet. It's something that comes from years of experience and watching other dogs as they grow up and train.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yup and for those without the experience they have to rely on the experience of the helpers and their training director.

Most people are in a hurry and don't have the patience to wait. I find myself waiting longer than I used to. I also know my dogs.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Like Lisa, the more I've learned over the years and more dogs I've trained, the longer I find myself waiting to start protection. We now wait to start dogs until they show the full mix of drives that we want to utilize in protection. They need not be fully developed yet, but they need to be present enough to tap into somewhat. We might do a little bit of puppy work when young, but then put the dog up until the range of drives, not just prey, is accessible. We play tug and such of course with them ourselves, and we do develop some things and encourage certain behaviors (and not allow or discourage others) when playing tug, but the primary work with a helper doesn't happen until the dog is ready and the drives are there. Since some of those drives aren't there in pups and require maturity, that means waiting until the dog is ready. When that happens depends on the dog. It may happen at a few months old, or it may not happen until way over a year or even longer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page