Tracking off lead? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tracking off lead?

I've been largely tracking off lead lately... it has its good points... I CANNOT give queues with the leash for instance, and the dog is more free to think it through and focus on the task at hand. The bad part, I can't stop the forward advance when I know we are off the trail. What are your thoughts? I don't know anyone who does track offlead, and in general I've been discouraged from doing so

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Knighted Member

How about just drop the lead and let him free track but be there to check him if he goes off track.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

We used to run our trailing dogs offlead but put them back on for better communication between handler and dog.

But then trailing dogs are expected to cast when they loose the trail or within reason on a turn (AKC tracking allows casting as well) I can't speak to schutzhund.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
How about just drop the lead and let him free track but be there to check him if he goes off track.
thats basically what I do now, or if its only minor challenges they are facing I just go fully offlead

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I like to maintain the contact with my dog, but I will, on occasion, allow them to free track to a ball or other jackpot at the end of a very long track. I think it can keep them fresh.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 PM

It's something I have been considering lately. One problem I have is, if the dog is off leash, she will pick up the article and bring it to me, whereas she will platz on leash. I like the retrieval behavior and don't want to do anything that would confuse her dumbbell work. Leaving the leash dangling sounds like a good idea as long as it doesn't get messy at the corners. I might try that.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Crowned Member

Here's my retired male... I let him free track after I've run my young males tracks.. It's interesting to see how much food the previous dog left.. He had some issues at the end right before the article.. which is were I stepped off..

You can also see if there wasn't food he would probably just cruise down the track.. I personally like having the line attached, especially on my competition dogs.. I think you need more discipline/pressure when the line comes off..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

There was a competitor that trialed with his dog off lead.. I believe it was Wallace Payne??

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 AM

I've seen Steve Miller track off leash as well, including an FH with a V score. I'd say an ecollar was used in the advanced training in lieu of the line.
Sue

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Crowned Member

Although I'm involved with a totally different avenue within tracking, I thought I'd just offer this suggestion.

Bloodtracking - Rescue Canine

We utilize this type of lead. You can feed the dog all the line you need (especially if you have a handler sensitive dog) yet still have control if you need a correction. It is light, and due to the material, it rarely gets hung up or snagged on brush.

I personally have the 50' lead and a handler sensitive dog. I was amazed at the difference the lead makes.

May not be of any help at all, but thought I'd throw that out at you.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page