Back transport. How do you do it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Back transport. How do you do it?

I'm currently teaching mine to basically heel with contact on my leg, and eyes on the helper. Pushing the dog into your leg seems makes a switch go off into stalking verses just "doing whatever is required trying to get paid". Got a good clip of it over the weekend. You can see the distinct change in behavior when I push him into me after he wasn't giving it to me himself

So how do you teach the back transport (or stalking, or watch the helper)? How do you address the left turn if the dog isn't watching you? Do you ask your dog to heel (focus on you) or no?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have seen this done except with no helper at first. It worked very well for them and carried over to working with the helper. I tried it with Deja, but with no helper she didn't care about the ball or tug. The helper, on the other hand, brings up too much fight. She does tend to lean into my leg to maintain feel, but I just taught it using a pinch. I may try this again, though, now that she understands that the helper actually can move and she doesn't need to guard him at all times. Thank you for the reminder.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I have seen this done except with no helper at first. It worked very well for them and carried over to working with the helper. I tried it with Deja, but with no helper she didn't care about the ball or tug. The helper, on the other hand, brings up too much fight. She does tend to lean into my leg to maintain feel, but I just taught it using a pinch. I may try this again, though, now that she understands that the helper actually can move and she doesn't need to guard him at all times. Thank you for the reminder.
Yeah I don't think mine would focus on an inanimate object such as their toy. Plus I sorta tie this exercise specifically with the helper and leaning on their aggression with the helper to get the focus & intensity... since we're *teaching* with the helper present and already doing things in aggression the learning is somewhat slower... such is life though.

I've found it actually works a bit better when the helper is faced away and the sleeve not visible both for prey dogs and aggressive natured dogs, but it makes the coordination with the helper much more difficult. I usually keep a leash on a flat or harness so I can slow them down after releasing to buy the helper some time.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Yes, the helper facing is harder for some dogs.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Yes, the helper facing is harder for some dogs.
When would you expect it to be easier? A prey leaning dog will see the prey, an aggressive dog will see the helper facing off and posturing at them.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM

It actually worked very well with Vala and many of our club's dogs.

Lisa Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page