Picking Up Puppy This Weekend And Have A Schutzhund Future Kids Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Picking Up Puppy This Weekend And Have A Schutzhund Future Kids Question

Hello,

I am picking up my GSD puppy this weekend. It is from a reputable AKC and GSDC breeder. Both parents were imported from Europe with champion pedigrees and the sire is a champion Schutzhund (Sch3 KKL1 LIFE). Both have excellent temperaments, hips and elbows.

My primary reason for getting a GSD is for family protection and companionship. After reading through the forum we decided to get the puppy 2-3 years before we have our first child in order to devote the time to proper training and socialization. My sister who lives down the block has kids that are 4,3,2 years of age as well as a newborn baby. I have an Australian shepherd and and a Chihuahua. Additionally, I teach martial arts classes for kids and was planning on bringing the puppy to work to be around as many kids as possible early on.

If I were to start Schutzhund training, would that make the dog more dangerous to be around kids when I have them? I wanted to participate in Schutzhund because I do truly want a dog that will attack if someone were to break and the house and harm my family while I am away. However, I don't want to make the dog more likely to harm my child. I didn't want to put off getting a puppy until I had kids who were 6 or 7 becuase I want the added security now and through my wife's pregnancy vs later on. Thanks for your time

William
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

If the dog has a solid temperament, then no - the SchH dog is expected to behave accordingly in social situations. Don't really expect him to want to go greet everyone once he hits adulthood, but he should at least tolerate social interactions.

Someone posted a picture of their dog doing bitework in schH, then more photos of the dog playing fetch with a little boy. Hopefully someone can find it!

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM

I am new to Schutzhund, my pup is only 15 months, but he is great with kids. I have seen older schutzhund dogs that are also great with kids, even when they were not raised in the home with them.

As long as you get a dog with a solid temperament and do a lot of socialization, I don't think that you will have any issues.

Kelby's Charlotte Rose "Charlie" CGC 04-15-07
Captain Von Der Staatsmacht "Dude" BH 10-26-11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Great, I am going to start with normal obedience training. I have a few books on order from amazon as well. At what age do you usually start the Schutzhund training?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

When I was first interested in Schutzhund I went to watch a club practice. As I sat on the sidelines and watched the dogs worked a man came over to talk to me with his dog. She sat next to me on the ground, then crawled into my lap and started licking my face. I laughed and played with her and we talked for a bit about the sport. He excused himself, saying it was their turn on the field.

I was amazed at the change in that dog. She went from fun and friendly to COMPLETE seriousness and all work. If I had not met her beforehand I don't know if I would have been comfortable approaching her after watching her work.

When she came off the field she was still 'running high' (as I call it) but after about 5 minutes she was back to the dog I met before.

Dogs that have the correct temperament and training know when to turn it on and off.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Find a club near you and start training with them as soon as you can. Go there before you get your dog so they tell you what to start doing from day one. DO NOT TRAIN THIS BY YOURSELF!!! There are some good books about the subject out there, but many of them use very outdated methods for training certain things.

Where are you located?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM

I started training as soon as I got my pup. It is really fun to see him progress and how much fun he has. His tail is always wagging, especially in protection work . My dog is also a big cuddly dog. I just had him at the pet store the other day and he loves people to give him a good rub down. This could change as he gets older though. My other GSD could care less if strangers pet her. Even though he is cuddly, he has a ferocious bark when people go by the yard.

Kelby's Charlotte Rose "Charlie" CGC 04-15-07
Captain Von Der Staatsmacht "Dude" BH 10-26-11
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

wow great stories thanks guys. I am located in Bergen county NJ. The only thing I could find was actual training courses vs clubs
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM

Given you have selected a puppy that comes from lines in which they have proven their ability to be successfully trained in Schutzhund, does not mean your pup will be suited for that level of training. Your intentions should have been expressed to the breeder and they should have selected a pup that shows some of the characteristics to do the training. Puppies can vary on whether they will be able, driven and capable of the long road ahead that is Schutzhund. It is very important to get guidence as your first pup/dog it is as much a learning experience for you as it is the dog. There are some real challenges knowing how to balance being a good pet as well as the drives and behaviors needed to do the sport.
Dogs/pups with solid nerve, socialized properly and are trained in Schutzhund there should be no issues with the ability to be with kids or people. The thing to remember that the basis of all Schutzhund training is channeling a dogs energy towards a great outlet with purpose and most importantly the essence of the sport is focused on obedience and control of the dogs actions which to the dog is all a big game of play.
Check out Michael Ellis' video's.

Good luck
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witz View Post
Given you have selected a puppy that comes from lines in which they have proven their ability to be successfully trained in Schutzhund, does not mean your pup will be suited for that level of training. Your intentions should have been expressed to the breeder and they should have selected a pup that shows some of the characteristics to do the training. Puppies can vary on whether they will be able, driven and capable of the long road ahead that is Schutzhund. It is very important to get guidence as your first pup/dog it is as much a learning experience for you as it is the dog. There are some real challenges knowing how to balance being a good pet as well as the drives and behaviors needed to do the sport.
Dogs/pups with solid nerve, socialized properly and are trained in Schutzhund there should be no issues with the ability to be with kids or people. The thing to remember that the basis of all Schutzhund training is channeling a dogs energy towards a great outlet with purpose and most importantly the essence of the sport is focused on obedience and control of the dogs actions which to the dog is all a big game of play.
Check out Michael Ellis' video's.

Good luck

Witz thanks for the info. All the breeder had said was that both of the two males left would be good for schutzhund. If you were looking at the two male puppies and their interactions with eachother and with the litter, what would you be looking for. One is more laid back but friendly, and curious. The other is more rambunctious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page