I have a lot of questions C: - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I have a lot of questions C:

Ok so I have lots of questions that haven't been answered clearly before so it would be awesome if you guys and girls and answer them C: You can try to answer all of them or just answer one just say which one (ex: Tracking #5) but anyway here they are

Protection

1) Why do some people do bite work with a harness wen the dog is young and then move to a collar when older?

2) Right now I only do bite work with a rag by myself and then when I have my trainer he uses a sleeve. I haven'y seen my trainer in about 4 months. Should I by a sleeve or a cuff to have her bite something other than a rag? Sleeve or cuff if so?

3) Lets say I learn how to be a helper. (Not that I probably could be one ) Could I do bite work with my dog as the helper? Or would that teach her to attack me not the attacker...

Obedience

1) When we are sitting outside doing a long down and a dog goes by Kono will whine and so I shut her mouth but she still whines and I try to correct her but she wont stop. What should I do to make her stop? Putting a treat in front of her wont do anything, it is like she has tunnel vision and wont even sniff the treat...

2) When should I teach her to fuss and more advance stuff like that?

3) Should I ever get an E-collar for obedience? If so when?

Tracking

1) Can I put a flag at corners so I can know where they are? Not right at the corner but near by?

2) Can I put one at the end of the trail to show that its the end?

3) When should I Introduce her Articles?

4) How do you teach articles?

5) How do I slow her down? When I try to hold her back a little the leg with the leash under it will move up. If I weren't holding her back I think she would be all over the place or finishing one 50 pace line in 10 secs... I haven't tried it though...

6) If she gets off track how long should I wait until I show her where the next piece is?

7) If I lay a track and then leave for 5 mins and within those minutes a person and a couple dogs walk over it will that mess the track up?

8) What if she is just smelling for food and not realizing the connection with the disturbance on the ground?

9) How many days can I track in a row? Should I take a day off?

I may think of more later but I want to get these up so I can get answers soon So Thank you!

Kono ~ 2/25/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Crowned Member

Protection

1) Why do some people do bite work with a harness wen the dog is young and then move to a collar when older?

A harness is sometimes thought of as safer while the dog is young and still learning (ie, more likely to throw themselves against the end of the line) and helps encourage strong barking, but it's really a matter of preference. I use a harness if my dog is tied to a post, otherwise I use a collar, regardless of age.

2) Right now I only do bite work with a rag by myself and then when I have my trainer he uses a sleeve. I haven'y seen my trainer in about 4 months. Should I by a sleeve or a cuff to have her bite something other than a rag? Sleeve or cuff if so?

I would leave the bitework to the helper.

3) Lets say I learn how to be a helper. (Not that I probably could be one ) Could I do bite work with my dog as the helper? Or would that teach her to attack me not the attacker...

Unless you are really good and have the right type of dog you should not be working your own dog. It will cause conflict for your dog and you will not be working the dog in the best state of drive because your dog probably won't want to show you some real aggression.

Obedience

1) When we are sitting outside doing a long down and a dog goes by Kono will whine and so I shut her mouth but she still whines and I try to correct her but she wont stop. What should I do to make her stop? Putting a treat in front of her wont do anything, it is like she has tunnel vision and wont even sniff the treat...

Backup and work at a higher threshold so she's not as close to another dog. Set her up for success so you have chances to reward the behavior you want.

Once she has a good foundation of working in drive, paying attention to you, and wanting to work for you and interact with you.

Depends on your dog and what you would use it for. Some people go right to them and some people never use one. I never use one but many club members do.

Tracking

1) Can I put a flag at corners so I can know where they are? Not right at the corner but near by?

I do not mark corners but learn to check points on the horizon in front of me and to one side (like a grid) and mentally make note of my corners. Some people have little ribbons tied to heavy washers that they toss to mark a corner.

No the flag should only be at the beginning. I use a jackpot reward (like a small container of food) to mark the end, or an article.

Whenever you want.

I introduce articles to a puppy completely off the track. As soon as the puppy knows down/platz I start training article indication. I train the dog so it can go around a room with a dozen articles spread out and find and indicate each one before I start putting them on a short, straight track.

5) How do I slow her down? When I try to hold her back a little the leg with the leash under it will move up. If I weren't holding her back I think she would be all over the place or finishing one 50 pace line in 10 secs... I haven't tried it though...

Control the pace with the line, lay the track in such a way that she wants to work it with a deep nose and a steady pace.

6) If she gets off track how long should I wait until I show her where the next piece is?

If my dog's behavior clearly indicates he knows he is off the track and is trying to find it, then I just stop walking and when he's back on I calmly praise and continue moving forward. For a new dog/puppy I handle up close and don't let them get off the track until I'm convinced they really understand what tracking is and have a desire to quickly get back on the track without being shown.

7) If I lay a track and then leave for 5 mins and within those minutes a person and a couple dogs walk over it will that mess the track up?

Depends on your dog. If I thought it would mess up my dog, then I would stop my track on a good note before the cross track. If I thought my dog was ready for the challenge I would let him work through it.

8) What if she is just smelling for food and not realizing the connection with the disturbance on the ground?

Have you done scent pads where the dog learns to make the association between the food and the disturbed ground/human scent?

Really depends on the dog and what else is going on. None of the three phases exist in a vacuum. For my dog, tracking is very rewarding so I'd be more likely to track him the next morning after a more difficult obedience session, but for another dog having a difficult obedience session might negatively effect the tracking performance. You just have to experiment and learn to read your dog.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

2 good books:
Tracking from the beginning by Gary Patterson
Sheila Booth's Purely Positive training covers quite a bit in all phases

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Lies, excellent answers.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Protection

A harness is sometimes thought of as safer while the dog is young and still learning (ie, more likely to throw themselves against the end of the line) and helps encourage strong barking, but it's really a matter of preference. I use a harness if my dog is tied to a post, otherwise I use a collar, regardless of age.
Thank You! That cleared a lot of things up for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Thanks! I've been looking at some books I may get and I'll look at these now C:

I got a few more:
Obedience: My dog sits and platz sloppy how can I fix this? Only give the treat when she platz neatly?
Tracking: How can I keep her from lifting her head and then getting distracted?

Kono ~ 2/25/12

-Will Rogers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Crowned Member

Ok so I have lots of questions that haven't been answered clearly before so it would be awesome if you guys and girls and answer them C: You can try to answer all of them or just answer one just say which one (ex: Tracking #5) but anyway here they are

Protection

I use a harness when I want the dog's head free and able to pull very hard comfortable. I use a flat collar when I need more control over their head.

No, you don't need to buy a sleeve. If you want to, get a jute tug

Depends on the exercise and that particular dog. I do the majority of the bitework on my own dogs. I can work Katya in aggression or prey myself. I can only work Jäger in prey drive... getting him to be aggressive with me would be at the detriment to our relationship

Obedience

Its just a tool, with it's own pro's and cons like everything else. Easier to screw up than other tools, but when used properly is the most effective tool

Tracking

No, your dog will learn to track to flags and then turn

sure, but when you learn your dog better you'll know if they are on the track or it has ended

when you are bored, in your living room

seperate from tracking, in my living room

more food closer together. If she is perfectly accurate but fast, there isn't anything wrong with that. Its only bad when the speed leads to errors. if you pull on the leash you will generally speed a dog up.

Let her figure out how to win. she'll find it again eventually if you become a post when she's off the track. she'll also learn to slow down and be more methodical

for a dog learning to track yes. for a dog that knows how to track no

the association comes with time. ideally you're teaching them to associate with the human scent

I do three days on, one day off. I also track during the day and evening

I may think of more later but I want to get these up so I can get answers soon So Thank you!

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 02-05-2013 at 11:10 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

@hunterisgreat Thanks! That helped me get more info about what others do C:

Kono ~ 2/25/12

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page