picking between two clubs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

picking between two clubs?

I have been visiting several clubs in my area, and have my eye on two of them.

The first club practices at a local park and fair ground twice a week. It seems pretty easy going, every body was super nice. I talked with the trainer extensively, I really liked what he was saying and the things I saw both him show me and do with the dogs. I asked specifically about training a regular puppy vs. a puppy for schutzhund, what would the differences be etc? He says really a puppy should have manners, etc... he doesn't necessarily focus on OBEDIENCE at a super young age, but more socialization, teaching manners, drive building, etc... I asked them if I did get the pup and was interested, when would I start. They said first thing, start bringing the pup from day one. Even though obviously we wouldn't really be "training", the pup would be around a lot of people that knew how to socialize and interact with that type of dog. The other perk/problem with this club, I've had my heart set on training with a gentleman I did some training with 4 years ago. I especially like his prices, he's a schutzhund judge, has done training for police departments, etc... I would just be concerned going to one club but then training with a completely outside person. What if their methods/thoughts are different?

Second club is actually also a training facility that has their own schutzhund field, along with their own agility field. Agility is something I've also been interested in, so I would have easy access to both. This club seemed a lot more structured, largely because they actually had their own field/area. The couple that owned it were very nice, along with the trainers/helpers. The other member weren't all as talkative, but I still had a few people talking with me and joking around. They were doing protection work whereas the other club had been working on obedience when I was there, so it's hard to completely compare their methods. This club also does ring sport, so I would potentially be able to do both or one over the other if I prefered. Outside of a few members that had been doing the sport for YEARS, they said the majority of their members were first time competitors that had simply started doing puppy classes and been interested in the sport. As far as training, starting, etc... they said I would not start with the club right away but rather start in puppy training with schutzhund as an obvious mindset, and then when the dog gets a little older start training with the club as well (I believe they feel around 4-6 months). Downfall, I wouldn't be able to train with my old trainer whom I adore, but when this couple first started training they told me they did a lot of work with him. Also the club price annually is the same as the other, but the training is a lot more expensive then my old trainer.

Sorry for that little ramble... I think at this point I am leaning more towards the second club, but I was wondering if anyone with more experience would have some advice/a little bit better input.

Thank you!

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

I would(personally) probably go with the 2nd club because of the permanent field and equipment...and work with the trainer you like on the side. Unless they really forbid it, I don't see the conflict.

Even if you went with club #1, working with the trainer should be beneficial.
I work with another trainer mid week on things we need to accomplish(not protection). If the trainer is on board with your goals and what you are doing, not their own agenda, then there should be no problem. After all, you are paying the trainer to help you reach your goals.
I don't understand why, though, you can't begin now with #2 club~the more you go, the more you learn.
Maybe see if you can visit both again before you decide.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Can you not just train with the gentleman you used to train with or does he not have a club?

Maybe visit the two clubs again and get to see some protection at the one and obedience at the other. Get a better feel for them both. When I joined my first club it was a no brainer. I visited two, but I knew which was best for me on the first visit. If I was looking now, my choice would not be the same.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM

One thing to think of is where do you think you would have a good fit and grow to learn to train the dog. I happen to know people in both clubs and know there are tradeoffs to each. One thing to consider is that you could start with one club and then if you do not like you can always change later.

For the second club I am not surprised they want you to go through their puppy obedience since that is also a service they provide to all clients, as a dog training company. To the others if the gentleman is who i think it is he does not have a club but just trains dogs on his own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page