Joining the USCA - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

Joining the USCA

When should you do this? Is it too early to join now with a nearly 7 month old? If I do join now, when should I bother to get a score book? Or does that just come when you join?

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.

Last edited by Jag; 01-30-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

I would join right away. At the very least, you get the magazine I'd get a scorebook too. That part is really cheap so why not. Better than remembering a few days before the first trial that you still need one!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Crowned Member

The magazine is nice....$100 annual dues.
I joined because my club at that time required it(my dog was 10 months old) This was right at the time the USCA changed the rule that you couldn't belong to another GSD organization, so I had to wait til my GSDCA-WDA membership expired.
I waited to get my scorebook(AWDF) a few months before going for the BH.
They send scorebooks out quick.
The first of the year is when you are up for renewal on the membership....so may as well do it now, because if you pay the $100 in June, it isn't pro-rated. Enjoy the magazine as long as you're paying for it!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Elite Member

First you join. It's an annual fee of $100 i believe. Then you get a scorebook for your dog. That is a one time thing. I'm not sure there is an age requirement but do notice this:
1. you cannot go for BH before age 15 months (I think)
2. There is a lot of training before going for the BH especially for a new handler (I would know, I only have one schutzhund dog myself)

So, if you don't anticipate trialing within the next year, no point in wasting $100. I might start registering a few months before the trial. It took less than a month for my USCA membership to come through and less than a month for my dog's scorebook to come in so do it 4-6 months before a trial and you'll have plenty of buffer room.

Hope this helps
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Crowned Member

Jane is that a new thing? I've always renewed in November and my new card is good through Nov 2013.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
The magazine is nice....$100 annual dues.
I joined because my club at that time required it(my dog was 10 months old) This was right at the time the USCA changed the rule that you couldn't belong to another GSD organization, so I had to wait til my GSDCA-WDA membership expired.
I waited to get my scorebook(AWDF) a few months before going for the BH.
They send scorebooks out quick.
The first of the year is when you are up for renewal on the membership....so may as well do it now, because if you pay the $100 in June, it isn't pro-rated. Enjoy the magazine as long as you're paying for it!
I'm not sure if that last bit is correct. I do believe my membership runs from september to september, but I have to check when I get home.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

Hmmm, I joined in March, and was sent the renewal a couple weeks ago. I just opened it and it is dated March 1st...so take that back! I was thinking it was because they started Jan-Jan.

Good to know I'm wrong!!! And that they are so efficient with the renewal postcard.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Knighted Member

I would not join unless I was sure I would trial with in one year.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

One's club may require it though. I haven't trialed in over a year (well, we did ADs and a BH at an RKNA trial under a USCA judge) but I've remained a member for 2.5 years and am now part of a member club.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

Thank you for all the input! I think I'm going to go ahead and join now. I'd like the magazine, also. True, for the cost of the book I may as well get that now, also. Who knows when he'll be ready to trial, but at least I won't forget to get it!

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page