Grim's first IPO club meeting... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

Talking Grim's first IPO club meeting...

I don't think he did too bad! He announced himself coming in, of course. Got some ideas of things to do with him. He actually played tug with me for awhile tonight with the most enthusiasm I've seen from him. He had to work for his bowl of food....handful by handful. He ate much better! He seemed to enjoy working for the food rather than just get his bowl. I was so excited about going last night... and wondering how Grim would do that I only got 2 hours of sleep! Got a lot of useful tips of things to do with him. Getting ready to order equipment.

Hopefully I won't drive everyone nuts with questions, mistakes, etc. Lots of people eager to share what they know. I'm very happy to be given the chance to do this. Can't wait to learn tracking, too. Grim seemed to get good reviews! I have his breeder to thank for such a great boy with a good disposition and solid nerves. I think he's going to end up enjoying himself very much! He's needed a 'job' to do. We have a list of things to work on. I think we can get there!!

The helper was very good in trying different things with Grim. I really like what he said about him. We have to let some time pass for him to mature, but I can't wait to see what he does on the sleeve! I absolutely love my boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

Thoughts on this harness? Duel purpose, plus it hold the patches that say "do not pet" and "in training" for when I take him out and about.

Yurkiw Patrol and Tracking Dog Harness - $61.99 : Dog Equipment, Police Dog, Schutzhund, Service Dog, Dog Agility
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

One more thing... Grim is obviously going to grow, but I want to use the harness right away. His girth is about 28". I don't know if I should get the small, or the medium. The medium would be (right now) about 4" too big. I don't know how much this matters. I also need to take a little weight off him (don't know where that came from!) so maybe I'd get four months or so out of the small size?? Especially if I take some weight off him? I don't mind replacing if it's lasts at least 4 months.... or if it's just not going to fit right going with the medium size. The sizes in inches are listed on the link towards the bottom. Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 AM
Knighted Member

Great news about the first day of IPO. I think you will develop a whole new appreciation for your dog as you watch him blossom in an activity that he was bred for.

Not sure about the harness. It looks nice. What I did was used cheep nylon harnesses from the pet store until my dog grew into his adult size harness.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Crowned Member

Yay, you finally got to go to the club! This thread has some good info on harnesses. I would get a good one, because Grims structure is pretty stocky and he's already in need. Nylon won't get it with him!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

OK. A little disappointed it won't hold the patches, but we'll figure something out. I just got his flirt pole, so I'd like to order the harness today. What size in the Bridgeport?

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Crowned Member

I'd go large....they are adjustable

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

Thanks, Jane! For the agitation collar (without handle), would you get one that's padded? I was thinking 'yes' since I'll end up using that, too.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Knighted Member

Your dog sounds a lot like my girl Jag.

I finally started her schutz. training and if nothing else, I don't feel mortified by her behaviour, because they all have working dogs! Not that I needed to, she did great and LOVED it!!

Keep up the great work! Definitely a good idea to get a harness for him, but the good leather ones should be very adjustable and fit him fine as he grows. My girl is very long and lean right now, but the adult one fits her fine.

Keep us posted!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

OK, agitation collar and harness ordered! New prong on the way, as well as a new tug and new ball on rope. A couple things I remember the helper saying about Grim. He's got a hard bite and grip. He really pulls hard (on tugging). Once he decides he wants it, he really wants it. He needs to mature more (Czech/DDR background). He has a good temperament, and very solid nerves. Good raw genetics. All the components are there. He likes to have things his way. He'd prefer not to be on lead. He moves toward all sudden, loud, unknown noises to check them out.

So all seemed very positive to me. Also nice to know that he's just being a normal pup who's found his bark. I did speak to his breeder, to let her know how things went and to thank her again for sending me exactly what I asked for and the dog I've been dreaming about! It takes time, knowledge, commitment, and love to breed good pups. I couldn't be happier with him. I know he'll make us both proud... I just have a LOT of learning to do in order to be the best handler I can be to allow him to shine.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page