Going to check out some clubs - advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Going to check out some clubs - advice?

As some of you may know, I am getting a male pup from Spartanville in March My first WL pup. I would LOVE to do schutzhund with him and join a club, and I've been in contact with a few that I am going to start checking out this weekend.

Once I get to know people I'm very outgoing, but at first I'm super shy. So I'm EXTREMELY nervous, to say the least

Any advice, tips for what I should say/be asking? I feel like I've already got a really good vibe with a member from one club, we have been emailing back and forth for the last couple days and I am going down to their practice on Sunday. But what are some other things to look for when picking a club?

Thank you!

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Or if anyone has any experience with any clubs in Denver?

This weekend I'm going to check out Summit/Front Range Hundesport which has combined. Next weekend I will be checking out Black Diamond Schutzhund Club. And then I believe Ponderosa Working Dog Club emailed me back tonight but I haven't had a chance to really check it.

Mile High is currently full, as is one other I've talked to (I believe Centennial?)

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Crowned Member

Even if a club is full, go check them out because you never know. Plus it never hurts to meet the people.

A club member of mine visited a couple clubs in the Denver area. I'm not sure which ones so I will try and find out. He seemed to have a good time and like the people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Knighted Member

I can't give you any advice on what to ask, but the place where I occasionally board my pup has a person that works there that was going to Black Diamond and really likes it. Good luck with your search!

Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would introduce yourself and then just watch and listen. Watch the training, watch how the members interact with each other and their dogs, listen to what is said and pay attention. This will give you the best feel for whether or not you will be comfortable with the club. Don't be totally antisocial and quiet, but do make sure you look interested in the training and in learning. I know how hard it is to do these things when you are shy. If you have a question about something involving the training ask. Don't just assume. Also, though, make sure to listen. Nothing worse than a newbie who knows it all and doesn't listen to the response.

Can't help with the clubs. The only one I am familiar with is High Plains in Denver.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
Or if anyone has any experience with any clubs in Denver?

This weekend I'm going to check out Summit/Front Range Hundesport which has combined. Next weekend I will be checking out Black Diamond Schutzhund Club. And then I believe Ponderosa Working Dog Club emailed me back tonight but I haven't had a chance to really check it.

Mile High is currently full, as is one other I've talked to (I believe Centennial?)
Still check out those "full" clubs! It is very common that people buy a shepherd at will and want to do schutzhund with it. When clubs say that they are full, it lets people know they aren't currently letting anyone in, but its more to weed out the people who are just doing it on a whim. If they allow you to visit, go check it out. Schutzhund requires more dedicated handlers then some other dog sports, so if you go consistantly, they will see that you are truly interested.

Warning: It is a lifestyle. One that you will willingly let take over your life
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 10:12 AM

I'm a member of Ponderosa Working Dog Club. I used to train with Summit before they joined with Front Range. I know the people from most of the DVG clubs in Colorado and we often train together and enter each other's trials. As for recommendations, it's a personal vibe, noone can tell you where to go because everyone's approach to training and methods, attitude they want to take with their dog and personality is different. Only you'll know. If you're just starting of you may not know what you're looking at, but as mentioned, feel the air, the energy of the club and how members work together. Don't be nervous, it's only dog sport, we're not maneaters Also be advised that serious approach to schutzhund takes a tremendous commitment of time and resources. Tremendous. Location may be a factor if you find yourself joining training 1-2 times per week. It shouldn't be a deal breaker, but realistically, it may be a challenge. My advice is to meet everyone because no matter which club you join, you'll always see people from all the other clubs here or there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page