Schutzhund newbie, best tips & tools recommended - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Thanks, I'll go for 40" plastic until I can get the truck and heavier grade crate.

Prime "Grimlock" Von Hugelblick 4/13-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marley APBT 9/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
What age is Gitchi? Crate is important, a good vari-kennel is enough for most dogs. In your location a crate fan is a given & a water bucket that latches on the crate.

If you are starting in a week, have a good collar(buckle leather is ok until you get the fursaver/prong) and a thick leather 6' line.
Your TD will recommend what is necessary and where to buy from, hopefully. When you begin tracking, you don't need that long trial size line yet....but I've used mine from day one, and it is an ASAT material which is good for wet conditions, so the $ invested was never wasted. ASAT Lead 33' L-Elite K-9 I use a fursaver from day one as well when tracking, and you can hook double lines if necessary onto a fursaver. Muck boots or waterproof boots for tracking is a good idea, so make sure what you wear is waterproof. I also use a vest, so have access to pockets to load my articles, bait, corner marker washers when laying the track. For a young dog learning a flag, bait is all you need.

For most of my equipment, I've ordered from elite or hallmark.
Fursavers are a given, as well as a prong, tab, obedience line~I have a 3/8" 4' that is nice for ob/hook it over my shoulder easily. I prefer a larger gauge fursaver as my male has a big head and neck. He wears a 27"!
Don't forget the reward toys, synthetic tug, ball on string and tracking bait(articles/flag/washers to mark turns~much later for these!) & the dumbbells.
I pretty much use 1/2" ASAT lines exclusively.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

I use a harness (get them made by an Amish harness makere), and either a 7 foot leather lead or an 8 foot braided wider one for agittion work...I have AST in a couple of widths and lengths (also get custom made by Amish guy) and have agitation collars in my bag as well....dogs wear fursavers for everyday, and have various sized prongs...

I like 5/8 to 3/4 inch lines and have braided tabs in various lengths - from 7 inches to 3 foot - no handles, so for motion exercises and recalls, dog never gets its foot caught in a loop

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

prefer agitation collars over harnesses-they just annoy me...
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Crowned Member

Holland,

Same here. No harnesses in tracking or protection training.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Banned

Both, and protection, and tracking would be better to do with harness, if possible, with a handle:
German Shepherd harness, dog harnesses, leather dog harness, nylon dog harness, training dog harness, best dog harness
Away with it agitation collar:
Leerburg | Leather Agitation Collar with Handle
6 feet leash:
PK9 Leads & Long-lines - ProK9
And a metal whistle (instead of making yourself red in face when shouting):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Whistles-Metal-Training-Behaviour-Aids/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A471464031%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A1282436031
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member

I don't use a harness for tracking, just a fursaver. Nobody that I train with ever, ever use a harness when tracking. And in IPO, whistles are not used either.
David Taggart, do you train in the sport?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 PM

Hunter wolf and onyx,
What do you travel to trials with vehicle wise, van, truck SUV?

If you have a truck how hard are the welded crates to remove?
Do you use a ramp at all?
And what are some techniques to use when getting the dog out of the crate in a controlled manner?
My fear is looking disrespectful and not having control if the dog bolted past from the crate. I use a crate at home and Grim is so excited to exit, when he does he does some circles running around me then downstairs. Giving commands in the crate doesn't work he' he'll sit but as soon as the door is cracked he runs out (this when I come home from work etc)

Prime "Grimlock" Von Hugelblick 4/13-

Marley APBT 9/01
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

I have a boring mini van. Also have a 4 door GMC Sierra with a topper, but seldom use it anymore for training. No ramp for either vehicle. Yesterday I had a scare at training. Karlo jumped up into his wire crate and caught his back foot as he was going in. That ramped him up big time and he started growling/snarling at me when I attempted to free his foot. I had to let him do it on his own so he wouldn't twist it worse. Thank Dog, he wasn't injured. I used some vet wrap to seal the bottom of the crate where the tray goes in, so hopefully he won't do that again. It was very scary and I know he would have bitten me if I didn't back off. He was in a panic/pain filled mode.
As far as control when exiting the crate:
I make my dog stay in the crate while I put on whatever flat collar I'll be using...he isn't crazy over the top, but biddable. Then when I have the flat collar(fursaver or rolled leather) on, I tell him to get out/sit and then put on whatever equipment I need for the session. I've always blocked the crate when opening from early puppyhood, so my dog never had the opportunity to escape.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Crowned Member

Seems to work well with us without the harness in both phases. Handler learns to read the dog and the dog does not learn to "swim", especially in the B&H.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page