Baron meets....the Prey Lure - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Baron meets....the Prey Lure

Ok...I have to brag a little on my boy. I recently found our local Schutzhund club and was invited down to observe one of their training events. Completely new to the sport, I wanted to get a better sense of if it was something I wanted to start with Baron at seventeen weeks as well as see how he would react to such a new/chaotic environment. Worst case, we come away with a great socialization event. I was extremely proud of him throughout the evening. He was intently observant, yet calm during all the training and other dogs around...multiple GSDs and Rotties. He sat next to my leg and seemed to just drink it all in. Eventually, the head trainer asked if I wanted to do a quick test to check his prey drive, so out on the field we go and out comes the prey lure. Instantaneous change in Baron's entire demeanor....hackles up, four-point stance, head lowered,....and the first time I've ever heard him actually growl and bark. He stared and stalked the lure for all of about 30 seconds before giving it a good chomp. After that, he seemed like a fish to water. I couldn't believe it. He literally surprises me everyday with his ability to learn/reason and I am loving his emerging steady/strong temperment. I am really thinking that Schutzhund is something we could both benefit from pursuing....

v/r,
Jamon

Riley (GSD)
Baron (GSD)
Logan (GSD) - At the bridge
Caleb (GSD) - At the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM

You should! Even if you decide at some point not to continue with protection work, obedience and tracking with both also help increase his self-confidence and develop a stronger bond with you.

Ugo vom Geistwasser (Jagger)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page