like schutzhund, hate tracking :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

like schutzhund, hate tracking :)

I admit it, I hate tracking! I never fully got into it I guess...

When first started Schutzhund, I really enjoyed OB the most. As I learned more about drives, development of drives, grip-work, and started doing helper work I started really enjoying protection (which by the way I wasn't even that much into when working with my own dog, only after learning more theory and working different dogs did I start getting into it).

But never tracking... it always seemed like a chore more than anything... 5am, roll out of bed, go cut up bait, take the dog, lay the track, sit around for 30 minutes while it ages, then the dog finishes the track in 10 minutes

hehe I'm just venting here, there's no real purpose to this post... I wonder, does anyone else have similar thoughts about tracking? If you are really into it, what do you like about it? What do you dislike? What makes you motivated to go tracking? I guess I want to find ways to motivate myself and get myself to enjoy more - otherwise it's always so boring (at least to me).

So, spit some thoughts - what do you like / dislike about tracking. Do you enjoy it? Do you track at a field nearby? Or do you have to use public grounds? etc etc etc...

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 10-26-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Crowned Member

I like tracking... in that I love to see the dog work things out. I like my dog to really "track" though... not just do nose-down-obedience.
I do not get up a 5AM.
I might track at 8 or 9.... maybe in the afternoon.
Summer I hardly do anything because of the massive quantities of fire ants.

I have a park behind my house, but often use a small field on the way home, or a pecan orchard near my daughter's school.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
I like tracking... in that I love to see the dog work things out. I like my dog to really "track" though... not just do nose-down-obedience.
I do not get up a 5AM.
I might track at 8 or 9.... maybe in the afternoon.
Summer I hardly do anything because of the massive quantities of fire ants.

I have a park behind my house, but often use a small field on the way home, or a pecan orchard near my daughter's school.
That's an interesting topic right there Want to elaborate on nose-down-obedience vs really tracking? What do you mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

I like tracking, but finding good places nearby to track is my challenge. If I had a place to go I'd track more often, but I have to travel a few miles to a park for crappy conditions(short cover with ants all over).
Doesn't keep my dog motivated when it is like that.

This summer, I've been going to a couple homes that are vacant in my neighborhood to lay tracks. One is on 6 acres, not the best option, but easy for me to go lay it, run home while it ages and get my dog. I'd love to have some nice fields nearby!!
I agree with the real tracking vs nose down obedience...articles need to really be valued when that is all the dog is searching for.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 10-26-2012 at 08:54 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I like tracking, but finding good places nearby to track is my challenge. If I had a place to go I'd track more often, but I have to travel a few miles to a park for crappy conditions(short cover with ants all over).
Doesn't keep my dog motivated when it is like that.

This summer, I've been going to a couple homes that are vacant in my neighborhood to lay tracks. One is on 6 acres, not the best option, but easy for me to go lay it, run home while it ages and get my dog. I'd love to have some nice fields nearby!!
See that is a problem that I have living in NYC... I have to resort to public parks. Now, when you go to a public park at 5AM it may be empty, but you really don't know what went on there the night before.

I remember my dog struggling with finding the track on one small park next to a church. I really didn't know why he was struggling, and wasn't sure if it was the location (he tracks in new fields without much of an issue) or my track or what. Then I drove by there one afternoon and found out the church organizes youth football games for their summer camp kids on that exact same field!!

Sure a finished dog might be able to do it, but teaching tracking on such grounds is insufferable! Other examples - I can't ever leave my track while it ages because I have had to ask people to walk around it on numerous occasions - so I sort of have to hang around "guarding" the track lol it just adds to the lack of fun...

How I wish I had nice empty fields nearby to use...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Crowned Member

Yea, we track at a school on weekends and there are people and their dogs sometimes crossing the tracks we just laid, you just need to work thru it. Or lately the seagulls are there to steal the bait. Always something!
I use a flirtpole with a fox tail on the end of it as my 'jackpot' end of the track, and there was a lady walking her labs~they came across my flirtpole and the dogs got all curious. Luckily the lady left it alone, but I wonder what she was thinking!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Crowned Member

I like tracking but I hate laying tracks so I effectively hate tracking! I hate it because it takes so.much.time! People who can track on their own property have no idea how good they have it! I'd have to drive 45 minutes in any direction to find anything comparable to what I track on with my club. All tracking I do outside of club training and trial is on "manicured" grass, aka sports fields. Half the time I show up and find three peewee football teams on the field, or I actually get to lay a track and then half a dozen people and off leash dogs show up and run all over my tracks. Also I'm not a morning person and there's no effing way I'm getting up before 5am just to track! Sorry doggies but I work full time (and not from home I there's commuting and not having flexibility), then I do other jobs on the side, then I have a family and a house and other non-dog related commitments I have to tend to and just maybe then I can think about laying a track. I would seriously pay someone to lay tracks for me. A while back I was so busy I was paying someone (just $1/mile) in my neighborhood to come over and take Pan jogging.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I like tracking but I hate laying tracks so I effectively hate tracking! I hate it because it takes so.much.time! People who can track on their own property have no idea how good they have it! I'd have to drive 45 minutes in any direction to find anything comparable to what I track on with my club. All tracking I do outside of club training and trial is on "manicured" grass, aka sports fields. Half the time I show up and find three peewee football teams on the field, or I actually get to lay a track and then half a dozen people and off leash dogs show up and run all over my tracks. Also I'm not a morning person and there's no effing way I'm getting up before 5am just to track! Sorry doggies but I work full time (and not from home I there's commuting and not having flexibility), then I do other jobs on the side, then I have a family and a house and other non-dog related commitments I have to tend to and just maybe then I can think about laying a track. I would seriously pay someone to lay tracks for me. A while back I was so busy I was paying someone (just $1/mile) in my neighborhood to come over and take Pan jogging.
<-- this!

I don't want to sit here and complain but all those things you mentioned happened to many on numerous occasions!

I can't count how many times I've laid the track only to have someone step all over it, or even worse is when I already started tracking only to have some off-leash dog run up to the other end of the track and start munching on the food!!! arghhhh

And, unfortunately I have to be at the bus stop at 7AM so 5AM is the latest I can get up and go track hehe...

Comparing this to OB - I wouldn't go tracking if I wasn't trying to IPO but I would still do OB. I would still to protection. Those two I do because I enjoy them (why am I always talking about me? Because it's a given my dog enjoys OB and PR but he also enjoys TR, it's me that hates TR), but if I never have to lay another track I would not miss it lol...

But still I go, 4 days a week, working towards the IPO2...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Crowned Member

I have always hated tracking.....

I have to DRIVE far to get to anything good to track....friend has a 160 acre farm I can use - nearly 50 miles away....local parks are terrible and mostly sports fields - and no dogs allowed.....puppy tracks I could do about 5 miles away on a teeny tiny 90 ft x 30 ft triangular slope.....otherwise it was 25-50 miles to friend's horse farms....

I have a hard time seeing the track too.....and I have done private/seminars with some top people (Dean, T, Ivan) who all "yell" at me and tell me the dog is fine...it is a great tracker - LOL LOL LOL It is me who sucks! Not just one dog either LOL LOL - 3 or 4 of them now!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Funny... looks like I'm not the only one...

Is there anyone on the forum that is *really* into tracking? I'd love to hear what about it you enjoy the most etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page