Thoughts on this dog? 2nd at WUSV - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thoughts on this dog? 2nd at WUSV

Witz Eqidius
I found myself really liking this dog a few years ago, just based on youtube videos. He was nowhere near as polished as he is now, and is doing quite well competing this year.
What are your thoughts? Strengths, weaknesses? From a training perspective... what do you see as proper helper-work and ob. training (for this dog), to get from a few years ago, to his performance at this years WUSV?

WUSV this year

2 years ago

4 years ago

pedigree: Witz Eqidius - German Shepherd Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Knighted Member

I enjoyed watching the videos and seeing the dog develop in to what he is now.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Robk.... thanks for playing!
Would you mind commenting on what you like, or don't like, about the dog? Sometimes I see a dog and can't really pinpoint what specifically I like about him.

Here is the obedience from this year's WUSV:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Knighted Member

Well, since I am someone who just completed my very first BH on the first dog I ever trained, I think I am hardly qualified to critique a dog competing at the WUSV! I think he is a very powerful and happy looking dog in his work. I as well would be interested in reading the comments from someone more experienced than myself.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Crowned Member

A very very nice protection routine, IMO....clean, powerful, and clearheaded. Really liked his back transport in that he c hanged from competition heeling to adversary heeling. Nice dog and nice training!
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Cliff, do you have time to look at the 2 years ago video?
The dog hits so hard and just snatches the sleeve off of the helper. (I think this is shown in the 2 year old vid).
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, I looked at all the videos....I really really like the dam side of his pedigree....extremely strong serious dogs!
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Banned

This is looks like a really good dog with fantastic training. If you think you can see past that training in a trial or training situation you are living in a fantasy. You have to respect good training. The only way to really see a dog like this is in a social situation and around his family and home.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member

So I'm new at this but along the lines of what Fast is saying I have a hard time getting past the training to see the dog. In fact I found some of it almost distracting. I don't like that scuttle-y call out thing or the silent guard and to me the heeling is forging but again....training! Congrats to the trainer/handler and the WUSV placement.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast View Post
If you think you can see past that training in a trial or training situation you are living in a fantasy. You have to respect good training. The only way to really see a dog like this is in a social situation and around his family and home.
Fast- this isn't the first time I've seen you use the word "fantasy" or "magic drive" and I wondered if you can elaborate, perhaps for this given situation. I really am curious, as I'm not exactly sure what you mean. So often we're told to go see dogs in trial and in training in order to decide if we like the dog. Yet you seem to be saying that one can't learn much about the dog in training or trialing- if we think so, we're "living in a fantasy."

Have I misunderstood your point? I see you post this often enough that I'd like to understand what you're saying.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page