Heeling practice with Ruger (Video) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Heeling practice with Ruger (Video)

Here is a short video that my daughter recorded of Ruger and I practicing heeling for the BH. It is very shaky so you might have a hard time watching it. We are working on quicker about turns and maintaining focus through out the routine. Hopefully we will be a little more polished by trial time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

Just a helpful hint, move faster and move with purpose because you are boring your dog to death. It's very hard to maintain focus when you are boring. Just picking up the pace and moving like you have somewhere to go will keep your dog's attention much better.

Also, don't wait for your dog to turn. If he doesn't make the turn with you, he gets corrected. It's also confusing for him to figure out if your slow turns - yes, I said your turns - are turns or sits, so he just stands there to see what you are doing.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Good advice! thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Banned

You have the same problem I have with Indra. She's a "pass"-walker.

I wouldn't just yet put the toy, in your pocket, I think you've got the same problem I have. We both are waaay ahead of ourselves at least I was with Indra. I have ton go back and work a lot on her "happyness".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdqG1U_vxos

Another thing, when you build frustration with the ball, don't let him get that ball, use that frustration for the heeling.

Last edited by Mrs.K; 09-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I am not sure what "pass"-walker means. I just pray we "pass" our BH! As far as the ball thing, that was my poor handling skills on display. I allowed him to snatch it out of my hand. I meant to build his interest and then put it away with out him getting it. I know we have a long way to go. During the heeling, I was pretending that we were in a trial and I could not show him the ball or give him a correction.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I am not sure what "pass"-walker means. I just pray we "pass" our BH! As far as the ball thing, that was my poor handling skills on display. I allowed him to snatch it out of my hand. I meant to build his interest and then put it away with out him getting it. I know we have a long way to go. During the heeling, I was pretending that we were in a trial and I could not show him the ball or give him a correction.
I think in english it's called pace, they are not walking properly, they are pacing. Both, Indra and your dog are doing it. It's not very desirable to have a pacing dog in obedience.

What I meant with him not getting the toy is to build frustration and even more interest. If he doesn't get the object of his desire after you built all that frustration they work better.

Maybe somebody else can chime in on that
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
I think in english it's called pace, they are not walking properly, they are pacing. Both, Indra and your dog are doing it. It's not very desirable to have a pacing dog in obedience.

What I meant with him not getting the toy is to build frustration and even more interest. If he doesn't get the object of his desire after you built all that frustration they work better.

Maybe somebody else can chime in on that
I am still having trouble understanding the "Pace" thing. All I see is a dog walking and trotting next to me. Is there a particular gate that they are suppose to be in? I know he is not prancing like I see so many dogs do. I really have no idea how to get him to do that.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

robk- I think what Mrs.K is saying is that Roger is pacing while heeling in the video. She'd rather see the dog trotting. I don't know for a fact that trotting is required for obedience, but I believe that's the critique she's pointing out to you. Increasing your speed may cause Ruger to shift it into a trot.

If you're not familiar with the difference between trotting and pacing, here's a video:

In pacing, both the front and rear legs on a single side are moving forward and backwards more/less in unison. When the front comes forward, so does the rear. In trotting, the front and rear on the same side are moving opposite, which is to say the opposite corners are moving in unison. When the front-right moves forwards, so does the rear-left.

It should be noted that for some dogs (my own included) their cadence is determined by their speed. Pimg will pace at slow speed, trot at moderate speed, and gallop at higher speeds. There are definitely dogs out there that can, and do, trot even at slower speeds. I don't think (I could be wrong) that the trot is absolutely a "moderate speed only" cadence.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 10-01-2012 at 11:29 AM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

hi robk - look at the dog walking , both front and rear on one side of the body are moving in the same direction

here is what you want -- these turns are perfect , dog calm and focused , precise
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I went back and watched it again and did see what you are talking about. He is not consistent though. On the last left turn he was walking normally.

That is what is so great about this forum. You never know how you look until you get your picture taken and then look at it with someone else. We practice alone all the time. It is helpful to have others give you guidance in areas that you cannot see by your self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page