Position of the dumbbell - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Position of the dumbbell

I've always heard that the dog must grab the dumbbell just behind the fangs. What is the reason for this? to prevent chewing?

Akela will grab the apport with the molars most of the time but has never chewed it, from the beginning the grip has been calm, and when he takes it behind the fangs, it's usually softer and then he'd readjust the bite, to grab it with the molars again...

I don't know if I should really risk the calmness of the grip reteaching how he grabs the dumbbell, at least unless there is a good reason to justify it

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Banned

Have you ever lost points because of it? Was there ever any mentioning by a judge about it? If not, I wouldn't change anything at all.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Banned

If its behind the canines then there is a much smaller risk of it popping out...even if the dog opens its mouth a little the dumbbell still won't fall out. My dog tends to have it behind one canine and in front of the other...but he's never dropped it even going over a jump.

I wouldn't mess with it...you're risking their retrieving by trying to change something that small. Just be happy the dumbbell comes back to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Crowned Member

Pan used to want to hold it farther back, and he had a bad habit of holding it more loose and sort of leaning his head back so he could rest it there. I changed that and he had a much firmer hold and it looked better overall.

If he can pick up the SchH3 dumbbell and hold it without it shifting then I don't really see the problem.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Sitting behind the canines is more stable, but I have a dog that wants to hold it farther back. As long as the grip remains firm and calm I am not going to maybe cause another problem by trying to change this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks! Then I'll not mess with it unless I see a real problem there. I'm a firm believer of not fixing what is not broken.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Wanted to add...just today I went out and played with my dog, ran him a bit, and then we trained. Now, I do AKC obedience and so my dumbbell is much smaller but in either case he was panting a lot. He still went to get his dumbbell and on his way back I could tell that his mouth was open. But because the dumbbell was right behind his canines it didn't matter...he trotted back to me and the dumbbell stayed in his mouth. His mouth was wide open when he was fronting and the dumbbell still stayed in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page