Basic training. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Basic training.

Ok so i have to go to some basic training classes, like sit down all that stuff, on monday since Kono is a little too ot of hand and my mom wants her a little trained since everyone is giving us looks like why isnt she trained. blah blah blah... and i know i should do so much obedience until she is older but i have to go... ANYWAY I was wondering when she does something good should i give her treats or a certain toy? Does it matter? To train her with? Since you do that with prey drive work and ive seen that with a jute tug when someones dog was good... Because when she is around 9 months I am going to bring her to a schutzhund club ive been talking with.

Also since i have to go to the training. Do I not enforce it so much or what? Since you don't do much obedience training until later...

Thanks!

Kono ~ 2/25/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Banned

Oookay, first off, you don't sound very motivated. Get that out of your system. Dogs know when you are motivated and when you are not and they will respond to that.

It does matter what you train with. Not every dog is the same. Some dogs respond to food some dogs respond to a toy. But it also matters which toy is the right toy to reward your dog with.

However, if you can train with food, train with food for as long as you can and let somebody who knows how to correctly reward a dog with a toy, show you how to do it right.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok its at petco unleashed thats where im going... I dont think they really do the whole toy thing because its puppy training for dogs that need training... not like schutzhund obedience...I they think its all about treats to them... I just wanted to know when training for schutzhund you do one or the other. Oh! Also I've heard that they sometimes teach them the wrong way or something... and that when i does come to training you have to teach them it all over again... whats the wrong way and the right way.

And Im not thrilled just because Kono the other day when we were in there she started barking at a dog and the trainer said to use a muzzle when near dogs so she wont be able to bite.

Kono ~ 2/25/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't be thrilled either...

Is there a reason why you can't start training at the club?

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs have high food and prey drives, so I can use either motivation. So, I *teach* with food and *train* with toys. Dogs learn faster motivated with food... Prey drive after all, is a means to satisfy food drive at the end.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

I'd not waste my time with petco training and go straight to the club. I'm not sure I understand why the wait to do obedience? I'd go so I could learn and watch. I agree with the posts above.
Motivation, go to club and train while teaching! If you get with a club now, your motivation level should come up. If you don't want to train now when your pup is a sponge, it will only get harder when pup is older and independent.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I'd not waste my time with petco training and go straight to the club. I'm not sure I understand why the wait to do obedience? I'd go so I could learn and watch. I agree with the posts above.
Motivation, go to club and train while teaching! If you get with a club now, your motivation level should come up. If you don't want to train now when your pup is a sponge, it will only get harder when pup is older and independent.
I agree. Normal pet obedience is gonna set back schutzhund. Dogs with that background or AKC Ob I have to work to undo some of that training which takes several times the effort of teaching a new behavior. Normal OB trained dogs tend to really have trouble wanted to possess the sleeve and tend to shy from challenging a person directly.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

I've seen that too, the dog is dependent on the handler and inhibited because 'too much obedience' has been placed. Different training styles can work against a dog doing IPO, but it does depend on how you are training and I see competitive AKC handlers training with the same methods I do(because they are on board with Bridget Carlsens program).
Engagement, drive building,capping isn't how petco trainers want to deal with pet home people.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Elite Member

Our schutzhund club has new puppy owners start with obedience and socialization from the get go. There is no reason to allow the pup to be a wild thing while you wait to start. We train with food to start and then transition to the toy along the way. We make it fun and exciting, we want the pup to be happy to come. You can get more formal later, but get the basics now and teach the pup to enjoy the experience of working with you.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

That is an interesting comment on the AKC OB issues.

Most of the top trainers in Europe are looking at some of the top AKC Ob trainers and methods in the US. That is the training that will flow into the club level training, depending on exposure.

Denise Frenzi, who started in SCH in the late 90's with her Utility CH Justin, is known for teaching high level OB for SCH. Same with Bridget Carlsen....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page