Trainer wants to do bite work - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Trainer wants to do bite work

My trainer has alluded since day one that my dog would be good for bite work. My question is how will he separate bite time from normal time or a normal situation?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Elite Member

What is the trainer's experience regarding protection work?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Trainer wants to do bite work

My trainer has alluded since day one that he thinks with my pups drive he would do great for bite work and or protection. Obviously we are a long way from that. However my question is. I have two small kids out home. How will the dog know when to turn this off? Example, if during training someone is jumping around acting crazy and that is his target. Will the pup know that my kids jumping around are not targets to get fixated on before I tell him to go attack? Hopefully this makes sense

Closed second thread.
Moved to this area: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post2575352 where people actually do bite work with their dogs.
Jean
Admin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Pervious bite thread closed for some reason

He was not "Hey you need to do bite work" he was more " I think he will be good at it" So I guess what I am really asking is.. Is bite work what I want, If I want the dog to just be clam and a "normal" dog 99.9% of the time, but if I am gone and my wife is home with kids or on a walk or something and become in danger that the dog will protect her on command?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

He will know the difference with his ability to discern threat from nonthreat. Training a dog to bite usually involves Things for the dog to key on, these things can be anything from equipment, threat, your behavior, etc.......dogs can easily discern the difference in situations if they are stable....and if they aren't stable they shouldn't do bite training in the first place.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

He works with rescue and police k9 on certs. So to clarify if I just want the dog to protect on command, is bite work what I want?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Banned

Why do you need your dog to protect on command? Maybe some of the other posters will chime in on what it will take for your wife to control this kind of behavior if you're the main handler. Most GSDs, if they're stable, will protect anyways.

You need to do some research into what it takes to have a dog trained in any kind of biting. Its a huge commitment, time wise and will have to be consistently worked on. There are also repercussions when it comes to insurance companies and other liabilities that come along with it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe78 View Post
He works with rescue and police k9 on certs. So to clarify if I just want the dog to protect on command, is bite work what I want?
Not necessarily. I do SDA training with my dogs and they have a protection title that does *not* involve any bites. I've seen dogs who have bitework training fail this because there is still a lot of pressure on the dog and they don't have the security of biting. It's called "Protection Alert" and the dog is trained to "alert" (lunge at the end of the leash and bark) both on command and on his own when threatened. There is also a LOT of control work involved. You must be able to turn the dog on and off with a single command, heel the dog around, and the dog must sit still while you are approached by the decoy and shake hands at the beginning and the end of the test.

I do bitework with my dogs (SDA and SchH/IPO) but I also do the PA test even though it is not required to move on to a higher level in SDA protection. I personally feel that it demonstrates a better level of control than some of the other protection tests and also forces the dog to engage and stay in control of the situation without just running in for a bite.

As far as bitework goes, if the trainer/helper knows what he is doing, this is not going to change your dog. A dog with high social aggression and protective instincts is going to protect and engage whether you ever practice it or not. A dog that lacks the drive or nerve is not going to protect you no matter how much training you do. When done correctly, this type of training is channeling the drive the dog already has and also giving YOU the training on how to control it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page