tips to stop jumping? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

tips to stop jumping?

I've asked my trainer for some help also, but meantime I'd like to get some other feedback or see if anyone has any ideas on how to deal with this.

My GSD pup likes to jump a lot whenever we do any bite work. At first she didnt so much, but now she has started to do it a lot more. She just started working in the blind, and will run directly up to the helper and try to jump on her to get the pillow. Sometimes she'll just bunny hop and bark even if I hold her by the harness. She'll try and buck up if she cant jump. Sometimes she does well, but its not as often.

I've tried having someone help me at home, but none of my friends are very good with it and are not sure what to do, and being an amateur myself I'm not sure what to tell them. I tried having a friend hold the pillow above his head while we tried to get her to bark without jumping, but he ended up just handing it to her more often than not - which I cant blame him for, he's got no clue what he's supposed to do and I've tried explaining it, but I'm no expert either.

But anyway, I tried having the other person turn away whenever she jumps, but then she'd just get discouraged with barking (since barking was already something she needed coaxing to do in the beginning, I dont want to do anything that would hurt that or dampen her spirits) and stop and stare at the pillow. Also tried moving farther away every time she jumped, but that seemed to make her want to jump more. I also tried standing with her between my legs, but she still bucked. She's always been a jumper, and we've always tried to get her to stop. Could also be because she's only 7 months but I dont want to continue the behavior.

We also train her outside not to jump, and she isnt allowed to for anything but the pup is very stubborn. Any advise or words of wisdom? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Crowned Member

I'd stop the protection work right now(especially in the blind!), let her grow up some more....7 months is very young and should just be doing some rag play/grip development. After she ages some(and you can find a great group to train with) table work will set the dog in a rhythm to do the hold and bark.

I've seen one renowned decoy have handlers work young dogs between the legs, the dog is worked low(pillow or tug on a line in prey motions), no high target...and the handler pivots with the dog between the legs as the decoy moves around....He believes this builds the team bond as well. The dog knows the handler is with him throughout the session when the handler is so close.

He doesn't give the dog a bite over and over either. Only towards the end of the session, as the decoys body language and retreating behavior lets the dog know it is 'winning'. He also won't have the dog run off the field after winning the sleeve/pillow...The decoy is the one to retreat and lets the dog know that the dog 'owns' the field. I think this is a great way to end a session....how many winners run away from the threat? The threat is what should be leaving so the winner knows the territory they fought for is theirs.

Other trainers prefer the dog try to be more independent, and not so much, or any handler influence.
Remember the saying~ no training is better than bad training.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 09-04-2012 at 07:07 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thats what we started out with, and only recently moved her up to a bite pillow. She's handled larger toys (and actually enjoys them) and she loves working with the bite pillow...a little too much. She has tons of toy drive, and when she sees it she goes nuts. The jumping is just what she does and it has to be stopped anyway. The blind work is getting her used to it because she's never been around one before, but she loves running around it. She's also never been around jumps before, which I already feel sort of late in getting her used to but we've been on a bit of a tight budget lately for one reason or another. She doesnt normally get the bite over and over...were just very very amateur heh. But what you mentioned also sounds really cool, usually I let her win the toy and she gets to carry it to her crate or wherever she's going to chill out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

You could set up three blinds, have her search for the hot one, and reward her with some tug if she runs them without blowing one off. Have her do the retrieve work/dumbell hold, tracking with good article indication while she grows up a bit. So much to do.....

Protection should start a bit later, IMO....it is fun, but when you start putting pressure on a young immature dog it can cause problems that will be hard to fix later. Dirty bite or leaving the blind out of insecurity/handler sensitivity is not fun to fix.

As far as the table comment, a low platform to keep the dog in a zone is enough. You don't need a high raised table.
Though this is just my newbie opinion, other more experienced people may have better information to help you.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not really clear on the goal, it sounds like you are starting a hold and bark? The first thing that comes to mind is I would NOT have a helper hold a bite pillow over his head. That seems like it would just create more attraction for it and that's what you don't want, a dog that is just going crazy for toys (unless that is what you want, not a hold and bark....?).

I would start out of the blind and not work into the blind until the dog is showing the right behaviors consistently. She should not have the opportunity to bump on the helper or take bites. Your job is to work the line(s) and give the dog feedback (line checks, verbal corrections, praise, etc).

It's the helper's job to work the dog properly and help you bring out the right behaviors from the right place in the dog's head depending on her age/maturity and what brings a nice balance of prey and defense. If the helper is not really confident in what you're doing or trying to achieve I would put the dog up for now or see if someone else can come out and help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Your job is to work the line(s) and give the dog feedback (line checks, verbal corrections, praise, etc).
Yeah the trainer pointed that out to me, cause I have a tendency to just sort of go quiet and forget about the commands. This is my first time doing IPO training so I'm pretty green heh.

She's moving along gradually. In obedience were just doing basic stuff and she already knows a lot. Its just teaching her things like the send away and heeling, but she does everything else (sit, down, come, stay) really well cause I've been training her since she was 8 weeks old. Tracking she's just doing a straight line right now but she loves that too and will readily run out to the track and wait for me.

As for the behavior thing, she was doing really good at first, the jumping happened a little more recently, like in the last two weeks. I feel like keeping her on a raised surface would help, I just have to make and/or find one to use since all our outdoor furniture is glass. The trainer also asked me if I asked her to sit at all...which I didnt...so I'm also going to try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page