Trialing for IPO1 for the first time in 6 weeks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Trialing for IPO1 for the first time in 6 weeks

Hey everyone,

So that's it, we are trialing for IPO1 in 6 weeks in New York...

Since its my first time, and the trial is not in our club but rather another club is hosting it, I would love some advice.
  1. What do you focus on most in OB when you practice at their field? I plan to do a few send-aways at the field, as well as dumbbell over the jump a few times, but other than that I think it'll be pretty standard?
  2. How do you change your tracking if you do in preparation for a trial?
  3. Should I spend some time working with the club helper beforehand if they let me?
  4. Anything I should do for the club as a courtesy? What would you as club presidents (or as club members) would appreciate outsiders doing?
  5. Any other advice for building up to the trial?

Thanks!

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 08-30-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

Where are you trialing?

I've only trialed for one IPO1 title before and it was at my club field, so I can't help with much preparation advice when it comes to an outside trial. For my dog, I made sure that I did the retrieves over the jump/wall and a send out. I did some light protection work the day before to work on our outs.
I had my own surprise in tracking that the field had been mowed two days prior, so it was very short. But I had made sure that I had practiced on a bunch of different types of fields before trial day, so it wasn't too big of a problem.
I never expected anything from outside competitors at our trials. We just like to all have fun and enjoy a nice trial day without any drama or attitudes. I really dislike any displays of poor sportsmanship from anyone.
Make sure you're prepared for all kinds of weather! It poured all day long and was low 60's in June for my IPO1. We could probably have snow in NY in 6 weeks...Ya never know.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Crowned Member

So far I've *never* trialed anything with a home club/helper/field because no dog club I've ever trained with has been part of a parent organization. As far as protection sports go, Nikon's SDA titles, BH, SchH1, and Pan's BH were all earned "away" from where we train (three different clubs).

What do you focus on most in OB when you practice at their field? I plan to do a few send-aways at the field, as well as dumbbell over the jump a few times, but other than that I think it'll be pretty standard?
For sure if it were me I'd do a few send-outs, I'd practice dumbbell tosses (not necessarily with the dog retrieving), and I'd put my dog in the long down spot but not necessarily for a full long down.

How do you change your tracking if you do in preparation for a trial?
I ask what kind of ground cover will be at the trial if it isn't already noted on the flier and try to get on that type of cover once or twice. With Nikon's T1 I'd never tracked with that club or on their field and he was fine and with his SchH1 track I'd tracked twice on their fields.

Should I spend some time working with the club helper beforehand if they let me?
I like to one time. For Nikon's PA I went to their club's training (not at the trial location) three days before the trial and for his SchH1 he had done protection on that field three times and one of those times was with the trial helper.

Anything I should do for the club as a courtesy? What would you as club presidents (or as club members) would appreciate outsiders doing?
Each time I brought food to either add to their spread or pass around. For example for Nikon's SchH1 trial, I passed around donut holes the first day (we trialed the second day). If there was a raffle I'd put a few bucks in that and if there was a paid lunch buffet I'd pay for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
What do you focus on most in OB when you practice at their field? I plan to do a few send-aways at the field, as well as dumbbell over the jump a few times, but other than that I think it'll be pretty standard?
  1. How do you change your tracking if you do in preparation for a trial?
  2. Should I spend some time working with the club helper beforehand if they let me?
  3. Anything I should do for the club as a courtesy? What would you as club presidents (or as club members) would appreciate outsiders doing?
  4. Any other advice for building up to the trial?
Thanks!
Biggest piece of advice; don't panic and change your training because you have a trial coming up. Just continue working your dog the way you have been. Many people start to feel the stress about an upcoming trial, start putting more pressure on their dogs, start worrying about fixing every little thing, start changing their training and then wonder why everything falls apart.

I usually will take my dog over the jump and wall if needed. I don't even necessarily do a retrieve. I might do a small amount of heeling and play on the field. I also will do a couple of send outs.

Tracking depends on the dog. I used to not track my dogs the week before the trial. That was for my own nerves. Deja I tracked the day before to take some edge off of her. Vala usually a few days before would be our last track. Have to know your dog.

If you can you might do one round on the club's helper. I would also run blinds especially if their blinds look different than yours or run the opposite direction. We have a large field so people find it is helpful to run blinds here.

I do the paperwork for our club. Nothing irritates me more than to receive paperwork that is not complete. Get your entry and your proof of USCA membership in ON TIME. Even if they don't have a closing date, get the entry to them at least 3-4 days ahead of time. No one wants to stay up until 2 AM the night before to complete the paperwork.

Arrive on time, find the trial secretary and turn in your scorebook if you haven't done so previously. Ask where to park and where to exercise your dog. Be courteous of the other competitors. Follow the judge's directions. If they have a raffle, support it if you can and buy their lunch. This is how some clubs make money to pay for the trial (the entry fees barely cover expenses).

Have fun.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Lies makes a good point about tracking conditions. I don't necessarily need to track with the club, but I need to have an idea of what they track in. Here we recommend people track a few times at the club because of the way I have to mow our fields. If the club tracks on sod and you train on sod or they track in hay fields or in dirt and you do the same then it isn't as much of a big deal, though can be helpful for some dogs.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

Also I should say, it's important for me to know because tracking is not my strength (actually, it's my *dog's* strength but not mine). Since we live in the city we usually track on conditions that are totally different from most trials. I train on manicured sod (private soccer and baseball fields) because that's all we have. The cover is very easy tracking because it's usually damp and lush but we also have distractions that I never see tracking on more rugged cover in the country so it evens out (for example my fields get covered with geese and poop, sometimes there will be a game just an hour before and the grass is pulverized from cleats and fresh tracks, there are usually loud sports games happening the same time I'm tracking). My dogs both track better out in the country even though the cover is usually dry and more sparse. So I like to know ahead of time if they have a general idea of the type of plants and the length/height so I can travel out and find that stuff once or twice. For example I have never tracked a dog on dirt (that's right, never) and when I was driving up to Nikon's SDA trial all I saw was rows of plowed dirt and panicked because I swore they said we were not tracking on dirt. Luckily the actual tracking field was someplace else and was more along the lines of what my dogs are used to. At this point if I saw a trial had dirt or plowed fields for tracking, I would not even enter.

Last edited by Liesje; 08-30-2012 at 11:57 AM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM

I don't know about other clubs but we usually let dogs from other clubs that are trialing to come to our club for the 2 weeks before the trial to come and get used to our field. The big thing I have done is introduce my dog to the field and play with him and then take to the long down spot and put him down but not for a whole long down.

Also make it a point to take him both ways over there jump and A-frame so he realizes no different than any other.

For tracking I usually have a routine of just track him the same as usual which is about 5 days a week but try and create different tracks on different surfaces so he does not get bored.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks everyone! those are some good tips.

Luckily, since we are all in the city, both the fields I've trained on and field on trial day are same (manicured sod) so that's good, and I will be tracking with them on that field once or twice before trial.

As for everything else, thanks for tips I will definitely keep them in mind as we get closer to trial day.

I was wondering where I can find some trial handling tips? I saw this Working Dogs Cyberzine - Trial Handling Tips but seems a little outdated - any newer articles out there? Also, would be great if I can find the IPO1 rules for 2012 in a succinct article (otherwise I have to resort to rule book )
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

I've never used a rulebook. The USCA web site had a powerpoint file that outlined the rule changes and how to interpret them. That is what I used (for a recent BH).
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Hey everyone,
  1. How do you change your tracking if you do in preparation for a trial?
  2. Should I spend some time working with the club helper beforehand if they let me?
  3. Anything I should do for the club as a courtesy? What would you as club presidents (or as club members) would appreciate outsiders doing?
  4. Any other advice for building up to the trial?

Thanks!
I establish the center line, do a recall, and a send out. Over the jump and the wall, does not have to be a retrieve and usually isn't.

Tracking, it depends so much on the dog. The last dog I trailed I emphasized the reward on the articles. Not every article, though.

If your dog needs/works better after seeing the club helper, do it. It can also help your dog to know where the find blind is.

Clean up after your dog, don't have your dog out while others are trialing, and be polite. Yelling at the club when your dog fails because of your training is a no-no. And it DOES happen.

I see a lot of people stop training before a trial. They start to do a practice run through every time, no corrections, no training, the whole routine. Don't. Train your dog up until you go out there. If you want to try a run through without corrections, do it at least a month before the trial, then train what needs to be worked on.

Most importantly- don't forget to breathe.

Michelle K.
--------------
Torro v Lordon Haus (GSD) SchH3 IPO3 OFA HOT (RIP)
Nico van Arek (Mal) SchH3 OFA HOT (Retired)
Chuligan pod Cvilinem (Mal)
Krafts Bijoou (Mal)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page