Danni Tracking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Danni Tracking

Good track, I think. Hard enough for her to make mistakes, but not enough to screw her up. I like seeing her learn and figure it out herself. My handling will catch up with her skills eventually. Anyway, this is from Sunday. Ventura, CA, 85 degrees out. Hot day!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Well you already know what I think Katie, but I'll say it again. I think the two of you are looking great!

Betty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Crowned Member

excellent !!

did you lay the track or did you go in blind .

very sure clear indications, but what happened in the 5:30 mark where the dog had gone off the straight to the left doing some loose circles and then does a false indication ?
she lays down and you get her to move on quickly without going to check to see if she has an article

excellent work

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Knighted Member

I think she looks quite good and her indications are nice and straight. The only thing that I could look at, and wonder about, is whether waiting so long behind her, both when she indicates and before you start her again, is creating the behavior of looking back at you. That look over the shoulder has a tendency to become a curled around look at you in a trial.
I can't say if that will happen or not, just mentioning it as something to consider. You are also standing back there and reaching into your food bag while she looks at you. For me, that is making you too much of an attraction. If you are going to wait there, perhaps it would be a better idea not to get the food ready and reach for it in a less conspicuous way as you are approaching. For me, there is such a thing as waiting too long and I also think it is something you build up slowly. I try to be aware of the things I do as a handler that creates behaviors I don't want.

Disclaimer: I don't know your dog or where you are in the training, so, take what I said for what it is worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anne

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all!

Carmspack, I laid the track myself. I knew there was no article there. I think she just got lost on the track and offered a behavior, rather than thought there was an article there. But we'll see what happens next time.

Anne, what you said was pointed out to me in another forum and I definitely think it's something I need to consider. It was suggested I start coming from her at different sides. I used to pull my food out when I got up to her there, but she would anticipate and lift her elbows to get the food or shift around in excitement.

We're working hard, and I appreciate the input! Hoping she'll be ready for IPO 1 soon. But we still need to get our BH! lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 AM

If I might make a suggestion....you need to begin doing starts/ re-starts from the heel position same as is required at trial time.

Keith Jenkins
Excalibur vom Herrschaft SchH3,FH,StP.3,BH,TD
Breitta v. Schwarzen Kobold BH,TR1
Argus von der Aunkst SchH3,BH,AD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM

Keith..you mean along side the dog, correct? Not basic position.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Correct. Person in the basic position to the downed dog. Unless of course your dog indicates by sitting at which time everyone is in the basic heel position.

Keith Jenkins
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

FCI actually states you can start/restart the dog from behind.

http://www.germanshepherddog.com/doc...gesMeeting.pdf
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Well the actual rulebook states the following:

The start (also after the restarts after locating the articles) must be done by the dog. A certain amount of slack is permitted in using the line. The dog has to start intensely, calm and with a deep nose. Taking the scent must be done without handler influence (except for the command to “Track”). The scent pad is not under any time constraints; furthermore the judge (LR) has to observe the behaviour of the dog at the beginning of the first leg as to how intensely he orients himself to the taking the scent.

What was discussed at the meeting may or may not filter down to all judges. What was stated was the following:

10. When giving the command to track on restarting the dog after articles, the handler must be “close” to the dog, either beside or just behind, standing upright, with line above his/her knee.

Starts and re-starts have traditionally been done next to the dog on your left side.

Just trying to give you a heads up. You can start anywhere you like, they're your points to lose.

Keith Jenkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page