Answer..is my dog too old to do SchH - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Answer..is my dog too old to do SchH

My #1 dog was out for a pulled muscle for 6 weeks. I started bringing my old guy to training for the lack of a dog. 7 1/2 yr old Ruger. He is a very social, and balanced dog with medium drives. NOT the most biddable of creatures. He did get his RN, but after that it was a wash. I started Ruger on the marker system I've been using with Cues. He is ready for his BH now.
He has had really no protection training. Seems like he's found his calling. NO coments on the helper work. We needed a new dog to train new helpers with. That is what you are seeing. I'm not trying to develop him for competition at his age. He has turned out to be a great dog that the new guys can't mess up! It shocks me how into the 'game' he is after 5 weeks. I wish I knew this 7 years ago.
So if you think you dog is too old, think again!

http://http://youtu.be/TL0vnRTu7UM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1819.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	19752  

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09

Last edited by cindy_s; 08-12-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 AM

I'm going to see what I can get on my old man for fun! He's your guy's age. He'd ready for BH and will almost be finished up with the one routine doin and tracking is going great! ER are just having a lot of fun! Great your guy is too!

Jerry Lee vom Mandalyn-GSD-CGC, CD, PSA PDC
Nassors The Saints Silence-Dobe-CGC, PSA I HIT, IPO IA
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think that is great - just remember to do excercises to keep the back strong...the older ones seem more prone to injury.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Banned

A lot of people here know my eight year olds history and all I wanted was to be able to work him in obedience so I asked if I can take him along. The helper said he doesn't mind. What can I say, he is the first helper that ever turned him on like that. There was a lot of insecurity in the game but he turned him on. I could not believe it. I knew it was in him but I just couldn't believe that it was so easy. Anyhow, he is eight but perfectly healthy and has a blast working on the field so we made the deal that we go as far as we can but the day he starts showing any sign of weakness its over. I also told the helper that I would not have any issues if he would use him for training new helpers. And I am right there with ya. I wish I had him known two years ago.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
A lot of people here know my eight year olds history and all I wanted was to be able to work him in obedience so I asked if I can take him along. The helper said he doesn't mind. What can I say, he is the first helper that ever turned him on like that. There was a lot of insecurity in the game but he turned him on. I could not believe it. I knew it was in him but I just couldn't believe that it was so easy. Anyhow, he is eight but perfectly healthy and has a blast working on the field so we made the deal that we go as far as we can but the day he starts showing any sign of weakness its over. I also told the helper that I would not have any issues if he would use him for training new helpers. And I am right there with ya. I wish I had him known two years ago.
I know right! I have been working my Dobe for two years and brought my shepherd out for some IPO fun. He is a rockstar! I feel guilty all this time I had been lettin him waste away....but I'll let him have his fun. But agreed. If he shows any sign of "age" taking its toll, we are done. He does sit up tricks for strength in the back and hip and walk/trot on the bike or mill at a comfortable pace. He hasn't had any problems with obstacles or jumps yet but I keep a close eye. I'm lucky he isn't a high flyer or hard hitter in the protection so it will be only OB.

Jerry Lee vom Mandalyn-GSD-CGC, CD, PSA PDC
Nassors The Saints Silence-Dobe-CGC, PSA I HIT, IPO IA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page