first trial! - for me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

first trial! - for me

For the first time I'll be attending an IPO Trial and I am super excited. While my pup isnt ready to compete yet, I've only ever seen Trials on youtube so feel its important to have the experience first hand but I have a couple of questions and I hope that its okay to ask them here since its not about training:

The Trial starts at 8 am, however I live a little over 2 hours away from the trial so I'd have to get up at 5 am (getting ready + travel). To compete I'm ok with that, but for waking up every day at 5am, Saturday is the one day I get to rest so I'd really like to not leave that early. I know in Conformation shows they dont care, you come whenever you want and leave whenever you want, but I'm not sure if a Trial is different. Must you arrive and leave at a designated time or can spectators walk on and off as they please?

Does it cost anything to view a trial? My trainer told me there would be police posted and that I'd have to say I was there for the trial and possibly mention being a student of hers to get in, but nothing was said about costs and such. Certainly dont want to come unprepared!

The trial doesnt have a web page (nor does the club I think) so I couldnt find any info online. Hopefully someone here who has gone to a few trials can give me some answers :3. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

I have never heard of a club trial charging spectators - they usually have a lunch (charge) and often a raffle or two to make some extra cash....

No set time for specatators to arrive....tracking will be first, and fewer people watch that as often it is not at the same location as the OB and PR portions of the test...

Some courtesies to remember - leave the shady or closer parking spots for competitors with dogs in their cars; don't talk or ask questions during judging; don't approach dogs/owners when they are getting ready for their turn - chat at the lunch break if you want to meet someone...

Have fun!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Crowned Member

The trial may start at 8am but that might mean that's when they are starting tracking which usually isn't on site and they don't usually want specators for that part anyway. I would find out when they figure they will be done with tracking and back at their field and show up then.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks very much!

Yeah the trainer told me its Tracking at 8am, and when we train we usually have to be really quiet so I think skipping that might be a good thing heh. We do mock trials sometimes so I'm sure I could ask if I needed to see, or wait for a night I am able to get plenty of sleep!

Wolfstraum thank you for the do's and donts! That all sounds a lot similar to conformation shows too, minus the fees. I think at many conformation shows (like akc n such) you are charged a fee if your not entered. When I would Stewart I needed to show my badge.

But thanks much guys, I'm really looking forward to this trial!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Elite Member

Are you going to Jim Honda's trial? I think he has one coming up this weekend - I remember him saying they'd have security at the gate, just because they trial on a farm with tight security.
I wish I could make it but have plans for the weekend.

The advice given is solid Hope you have a good time!

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page