Training multiple dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Training multiple dogs

Hey,

I have a 2.5 year old male, who has been training in SchH since he was 8 weeks. I made some mistakes along the way which caused training to take longer. So we will be going for IPO1 in the fall.

Training-wise, he's way past IPO1. blinds, side and back transport, call-outs, retrieves, stand (walking stand is nice, running stand I'm working on freezing instead of taking that extra step to slow down), tracking is good etc.

I am in a position to get a puppy from a breeding that will be done between two dogs that I really like. I know the parents, I know the breeders, I know the lines, and while I don't want to post details here (pregnancy didn't take yet, and I'm superstitious ) I am excited about this pup.

My question is: do you / have you done OB with two dogs at once? I.e. older dog does long down while you work the younger, then either crate or or have SO work on long down with younger while you work the older etc.

Do you have enough energy? Do you think it's a good idea at all? this might be a silly question, I know, and obviously tracking I'll do one dog at a time. My dog currently needs OB every day - I find if I wait a few days he gets hectic and sloppy and every day training doesn't get in the way of exciting him.

Obviously, first priority will be socialization but I am thinking already of ways to find enough time for both dogs so as to not neglect my older dog...

But I'm just super excited about this pup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM

I am almost always training 2 dogs....My current competition dog and the young up and coming one...However I never do obedience at the same time (with one in the long down)...It is not fair (in my opinion) for you to be calling "heir" or you throwing a ball and the dog in the down not come or go get it.....Plus you can't keep an eye on the dog in the down to make sure he is not shifting crawling or what ever....Just my opinion, I don't do it...I train one and then put him away and the train the other....

Good luck with the pup...

Frank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

I never train my dogs together. You can't focus on both dogs at once so your training suffers.

It's a lot of work and time consuming to seriously train more than one dog at a time. It's hard, but if you go into it knowing this in advance, you can do it. I can't remember the last time I did anything that wasn't dog related......

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

yea that's all very true, and I haven't thought of it. It's going to cause some grey areas with the dog doing long down when I work on recall, etc.

I guess one in (the crate) one out (training) is what I'll do...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I am currently working 3 dogs. I agree with Frank that it is not fair to put one dog in the down and try to work the other. Crate one while the other works.

Working more than one dog at a time is tiring both physically and mentally especially when it is hot out or you have just tracked all three too. My 3 dogs are different from each other and each needs different things from me as their partner. Sometimes you will find that taking a short break between each dog helps and makes it easier to focus on what each dog needs.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Also, keeping a log can help a lot. When I started tracking more than 2 dogs I realized my memory in tracking was not as good. If I write down/map each track after I finish laying them it helps me remember where my turns and articles are located.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Knighted Member

I train mine together but I have to admit it is difficult because all they wanna do is play with each other and I feel so left out / ignored...But I think it's a good way to go. It teaches them that YOU are in charge, not other dogs or other people. I make myself more tempting to keep focus on by keeping treats in my fanny pack/pocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page