Need some info. on USA rules... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

Need some info. on USA rules...

I just read a thread which included a list of breeding rules, etc. for the Schutzhund membership. I'm tired right now and can't really decipher what it's saying about line breeding. I'm concerned that my pup won't be able to have membership in the USA because of close line breeding. If he can't, he can't... but I'd like to know in advance. Both sire and dam of my pup have the same sire. Is this going to keep him from being a member of the USA? Another reason I'd like to know in advance is because I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get him tattooed or not. If he's already not going to be able to be a member, I won't do the tattoo.... unless it's required for him to get *any* titles. Also, does your dog have to be a USA member to be able to earn titles? New to all of this kind of business. Thanks.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

I think in order to be a member of USA you just pay your membership-and request a scorebook-think there is a fee for that -I don't think that they care about the breeding but I could be wrong-you can put your dog down as a mixed breed and compete
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

That and you can't belong to the 'other' GSD organization. As long as you have microchip or tattoo to prove your purebred or mix is the one that is registered in the scorebook, the pedigree info isn't going to be questioned.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
That and you can't belong to the 'other' GSD organization.
I'm confused about this. I apologize, I'm in an autoimmune flare right now and my brain is feeling very fried.

Also... do most people still tattoo? I'm trying to find someone in my area that does, but if microchipping will work just as well then I'll just do that. My previous female was tattooed and chipped, my male just chipped.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon

Last edited by Jag; 08-07-2012 at 10:17 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

Chip would be easiest, but when you trial, you need to be sure there is a chip reader available and that your dog is ok with the scanning process. Unless someone is great w/ tattoo'ing, they can fade or not be easy to read. Though I'm not sure how many judges/secretary's really look to be sure the ID is accurate.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

The 2-2 linebreeding is not allowed under SV (German) rules and no papers would be issued unless the breeder applied for special permission to do such a breeding....here under AKC - there is no standard of quality control and anything bred from registered parents gets papers - USCA is a secondary (non FCI) organization, thus following SV rules is optional in the US.

The pup does not join the organization - the owner does....and depending on what club you go to, you can join either USCA or WDA - with USCA clubs being more common in OH, KY, IL.....

I still tatoo my pups, microchips move and I don't like them done until the pup is older....

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Are you talking about USCA individual registration (for the dog) or membership (for you)? You can join USCA and not even own a dog so they won't care about your dog's pedigree if you are applying to join.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

I contacted the listed tattoo person for this area and they don't have the equipment to do it anymore. Since I don't belong to any club, I'm at a loss as to how to find someone to do the tattoo. I don't think vets do it? I could try to contact the person I got my female from moons ago since he's an MD and did tattoo his pups to see if he'd do it.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that my dog wouldn't be automatically unable to be titled due to his pedigree. Not even sure if he'll get that far, but I'm hoping and would like to give it my best try and his.

Wolfstraum- I don't know how close you are to me, but if all else fails... I understand that the pup needs to be tattooed early or would have to be given anesthesia to be done.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post

Wolfstraum- I don't know how close you are to me, but if all else fails... I understand that the pup needs to be tattooed early or would have to be given anesthesia to be done.

I am in Pittsburgh, PA .....mine get done by a local showline breeder...I don't do them myself.....do them around 7 + weeks....there are tatooers in the NE Ohio clubs - still a bit of a haul from you....I have seen people tatoo 8-12 mo old pups - with someone (or two) holding the dog firmly, no sedation...

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Jag
Knighted Member

Thanks for the info! I found the guy I got my female from and shot him an email. Hopefully he'll do it. If not, driving up north to have it done wouldn't be a big deal at all. I'll try there next. There are trials coming up near me in Sept. that I plan to go watch, so maybe I can get additional club info. at that time.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page