New training jump - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

New training jump

So a few of you may know of the jumping issues I've had. Art started me with the idea and a few other friends helped me implement it. The new training jump and program has really turned things around! Back up to 35 inches with a 12 inch spread like it's a piece of cake. Thank God, Cues is 100% again and loving training! I'm soooo looking forward to the fall!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg
Views:	1381
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	19509  

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Works wonderfully!!! Your's is a bit fancier than my set up which was done with all PVC.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Works wonderfully!!! Your's is a bit fancier than my set up which was done with all PVC.
I have a PVC jump as well. She understood not hitting the rails with it, but that didn't translate to the solid jump. I love this, because gives provides the benefits of both jumps at the same time. It was very easy to refab my current solid jump like this. I wanted to post it in case it could help someone else as well.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 PM

My extensions are made of PVC. I attach it to our solid club jump.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Master Member

I am happy to see that it is working well for you.

Art

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_s View Post
So a few of you may know of the jumping issues I've had. Art started me with the idea and a few other friends helped me implement it. The new training jump and program has really turned things around! Back up to 35 inches with a 12 inch spread like it's a piece of cake. Thank God, Cues is 100% again and loving training! I'm soooo looking forward to the fall!
Where can I get these parts, are they "hand made" or store bought?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

Very cool idea!! One question- because this is used only for obedience, and because the dog is approaching the jump directly on, is there no fear of the dog poking their eyes on the shelf brackets sticking out? They look kind of pointy. Then again, I'm used to agility where the dog can approach from any angle. This is probably not a concern for this type of jump and the usage of the jump.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

This setup does not really work for how I train (and often go back and condition) Nikon's jumping but for what I've seen most SchH people do, it wouldn't be a problem. I started using this tool with Pan for his retrieve.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 PM

When I started I had the dogs learn to launch off their rears from right in front of the jump slowly working my way up in jump height. Donovan could actually do a full meter from a sit. Then I dropped the jump back down and started all over again with the oxer set up. They already knew how to work off the rear and then this taught them to be careful (the cross poles I use are very light) and also to learn to round themselves over the jump even in high drive. I had a horrible time with Vala so I needed something that would make them think and work on muscle memory. Deja can clear mine at over a meter in height with a 2 plus foot spread and still be several inches above the jump. She jumps this way consistently now even without the extras and when in drive.

I saw a set up like this used in Germany. They had it set up at full height with a meter spread and that dog was a foot over the top of the jump. Theirs was made of metal with light weight aluminum poles. Mine is made of PVC (cheaper and I could build it myself).

Lisa Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page