New Pup thoughts and advice welcome. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

New Pup thoughts and advice welcome.

Three weeks ago we purchased a 5 month old female WL Line GSD. Sire was from German Lines Rocky Vom Eifenhaus and Dam is from a Chzek Line Schh 1 and was pulled from sport and trained in protection.
This breeder told me that he held this girl back for the green dog program but ended up getting passed up. He then began training her in SAR but decided to sell her as her drive was not high enough and also extremely wary of strangers.
He told me she would be better for personal protection then sport dog.

She is responding well to marker training loves her ball and seems to enjoy tug. She is fairly submissive to me and my gf responds well to verbal correction in most cases.

She is very wary as in growls and barks at strangers passing close to us on walks, it is even worse in the home when visitors come over.
We have tried introducing their scent to her properly having them feed her treats and praise her when she does well. However whenever anyone makes a move (gets up speaks loudly) she immidiately barks and growls and in some case lunges. I will correct immediately leash/voice she will briefely stop but if they move again she goes off all over again and cannot be trusted with visitors. I do find that putting her on her side and making her relax does get her to calm down a bit.
She is also very reactive towards other dogs and again strong leash corrections only seem stop her for a second then she goes off again.

My Questions:

I would like to be able for her to diffrentiate between guests and home invaders. I dont want to kill her protective instinct which is very strong but at the same time I would like to be able to indicate friend from foe to her. Any suggestions, should I continue to firmly correct this behaviour.

Should we begin training in Schh or Protection or resolve this behavior first.

I find that she does not respond well to corrections unless they are hard when she is focused on being aggressive towards a dog or stranger or visitor. The closer they are and if they are moving her behavior is more intense. I dont want to kill her drive to protect and be wary of strangers but I want to bring the intensity down. Are strong corrections (mainly leash) a good way to go.

She does not seem like a fearful dog. She is confident excited or unsure at worse never really seen her being fearful.

Advice thoughts are welcome.

Pardon my stack I have never done it before lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Master Member

I would recommend finding a good Schutzhund/Protection trainer in your area.

When she is barking/growling at the passersby can you get her to sit or down? My trainer advised me to ask Dooney to sit or down in a situation like this, then when she doesn't comply to give the prong a good pop- you are correcting for not listening to the sit/down command and not the barking/growling.Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is socialize the heck out of her.

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yes I contacted the local Schh Club in my area but havent heard back..lol. I have had a good track record of being able to correct other dogs out of reacting aggressively to dogs and people this one just seems to be more of a challenge. She will sit down but then immediately pops back up to get at the dog. I have not moved her to a prong yet as she is only 6 months. The breeder is offering Protection training level one for a good price so I was considering enrolling her but I was not sure if it was time yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page