German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   getting on a sleeve (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/186812-getting-sleeve.html)

arizona 07-19-2012 03:35 AM

getting on a sleeve

My dog is doing really well with a bite pillow will bite and let go on command but he will not switch to the sleeve for the life of him what can I do to get him to switch over?

Castlemaid 07-19-2012 08:12 AM

Are you doing the training yourself, or are you training with a club? I think he is only 9 months old and you got him when he was five months? he probably not ready for the transition. For some dogs, biting a sleeve is biting a person's arm, and in their mind, a big nono.

If you are training him yourself, there is a lot of psychological conflict involved in biting you, can't really ask him to do that, especially while still a puppy.

If you are working with a club, put him away for six months to a year, and let him grow up and mature.

Even then, he may never get into bitework, might be just going against his nature.

arizona 07-19-2012 03:13 PM

i do the training myself i have trained a dog before came out awesome just was not a shepherd...but that does make sense he will bite the sleeve with my friend just not when i have it on though

Castlemaid 07-19-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizona (Post 2534817)
. . . he will bite the sleeve with my friend just not when i have it on though

Well there's the answer right there - especially at his age, he has too much respect for you to bite you and act in a way that he feels may be a challenge to your authority and top position in the pack.

cliffson1 07-21-2012 04:50 PM

You couldn't figure that out.:confused:

WildWolf 07-21-2012 04:53 PM

Join a Schutzhund club.

Packen 07-22-2012 02:51 PM

Use prey drive, he might bite if the drive takes over. If not then no use working your own dog in defense.

arizona 07-22-2012 03:49 PM

iv looked for a club up here in el paso but have not found anything yet if anyone knows where to find one that would be awesome!

cherbear 08-05-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packen (Post 2537132)
Use prey drive, he might bite if the drive takes over. If not then no use working your own dog in defense.

That is how my trainer switched from the pillow to the sleeve with my dog. And he took right to it.

Shaina 08-05-2012 10:33 PM

...Why do you want him to bite it with YOU holding it? I never ask my dog to do that. It's a conflicting picture for them.