Status update - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Status update

It's been a while since I have been on here, I have moved into my new house and life is just crazy right now!! Dooney is doing pretty excellent in her OB, we are working on her sit while walking away, her down/stay is pretty solid. Her fuss is good but not solid- I do not get the constant eye contact from her, but since we aren't going to Schutzhund, I am happy with just her looking forward). We are working on her positioning during the recall/sit and she knows that fuss means to come around behind me and sit on my left, now where she sits is another story. LOL

Bitework: Dooney will never carry the sleeve- she is "all business" she gets the sleeve and spits it out and then goes back to the decoy. So I'm pretty sure I will never be able to get her any titles other than maybe a BH this fall with Tricky and Duke. BUT- her bite is pretty awesome, we have been on the sleeve for 3 weeks now. They say she has a good hard bite especially for a female, and she will hold onto to the sleeve (as long as its attached to the decoy still) The decoy sat on top of the A-frame wall to see if she would go up it for the bite- she did!! Several times. For protection work, my trainer is very impressed with her. I had to buy some cleats, because last week she yanked me off my feet and gave the decoy a cheap shot in the family jewels.

Anyway- Tricky and I will definitely break out our cameras again next week. Just a fresh litter of puppies that we get to see and I have made it my personal goal to socialize each and everyone of them (and if I have to suffer through puppy breath to do it, then it's even better- LOL)

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

Sounds like good progress! Don't sell her so short on titling, she may be able to move on to higher titles after all! During a trial, it's not like the dog gets to keep the sleeve at any point anyways, so you wouldn't have to worry about carrying. Plus she's so young that you still have time to help her continue to learn.

Looking forward to pics! I love seeing Dooney and Duke.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:54 AM

I second that!

But, I don't know where decoys think that females don't bite as hard. My mothers female GSD bite with all of her little heart (the 2 sessions she ever had) and crushes the sleeve. She is mostly defense/fight drive. She could have been titled, so don't give up on your girl!!!!!

Jerry Lee vom Mandalyn-GSD-CGC, CD, PSA PDC
Nassors The Saints Silence-Dobe-CGC, PSA I HIT, IPO IA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Crowned Member

Some dogs like to carry naturally, some dogs don't. Pan will hold and carry, but I don't let him keep a sleeve too long. I need to make sure he doesn't get sleeve obsessed and I don't like dogs chewing on it. If he has worked through some pressure and gotten a bite, then I let him hold it for 10 seconds or so (while the helper is backed off, not getting right in the dog's face again). Nikon will carry as long as he's moving but finds no value in the sleeve itself. However, since he is a dog that falls very quickly into defense I use his behaviors with the sleeve to gauge balance in the work. If he's literally spitting the sleeve as slips off the helper and activating again, then to me he's too high in defense. The sleeve is not an object to win or posses but a way of relieving pressure. A lot of the sporty dogs these days don't need any work carrying sleeves and doing little victory circles but for a dog like Nikon who falls too quickly in defense and needs more confidence, this stuff is actually important so I make more of a point to let him carry, move him out of the zone where he still feels a threat, and let him do a circle or two. What I like to see is the helper give him a hard glace while he's circling and he gives the sleeve a little shake as he goes past.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I am not totally giving up on her carrying it, just not expecting it anytime soon! LOL.

Oh- it was awesome- We had a K9 come out to train with us on Sunday. They fired blanks to make sure he was still ok with gunfire and then they used the squad car out on the field to simulate a stop and used the bail out button to let the dog out of the car- it was so awesome to watch a "professional" in action! I love when the cops bring their dogs out!

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney's Mom View Post
I am not totally giving up on her carrying it, just not expecting it anytime soon! LOL.

Oh- it was awesome- We had a K9 come out to train with us on Sunday. They fired blanks to make sure he was still ok with gunfire and then they used the squad car out on the field to simulate a stop and used the bail out button to let the dog out of the car- it was so awesome to watch a "professional" in action! I love when the cops bring their dogs out!
That was a lot of fun to watch! I love his K9! Crazy dog though..

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 PM
San

Sounds like you two are having a lot of fun with training

Just be careful with the cleats, if you accidentally step on Dooney, they may injure her toes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Good luck wih her!! Hope to see some pictures or video soon!

Jerry Lee vom Mandalyn-GSD-CGC, CD, PSA PDC
Nassors The Saints Silence-Dobe-CGC, PSA I HIT, IPO IA
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by San View Post
Sounds like you two are having a lot of fun with training

Just be careful with the cleats, if you accidentally step on Dooney, they may injure her toes.
I got the rubber cleats to help prevent that, but yes- they did forewarn me of that at class. Thanks for the warning though- I never would have thought of it if they didn't say something.

Videos and pics will be coming from this weekend!

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page