BH Plan Opinions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

BH Plan Opinions

I have done my math and will be able to take in my new shepherd puppy in January at the earliest (: I know I would like to do sports, etc. with my pup (which I have mentioned often). But I have a question for the members who have done/do SchH, breed, do obedience, etc.

While I was with my coworker on Thursday, helping out with the club shepherds, I noticed most of them had their BH (American showline dogs). Now, of the dogs with their BH only a handful were actually working in SchH.

My idea is this: Even if my pup lacks the SchH temperament (to participate in the sport itself), I would like to try and get him/her a BH title. I want to do this mainly as a bonding and training experience. I know that the BH is a thorough test, so I figure that if he/she and I are able to pass it at the proper age that we at least have training and socialization down. (: Any thoughts?

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member

A BH is hardly a thorough test, but it's a good start. No reason not to do it if you want to. It's fun and good training, so go for it.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Crowned Member

The BH is temperament and obedience only and I would work on that even if your dog isn't going to excel in protection.
Quote:
I want to do this mainly as a bonding and training experience.
An excellent reason to give it a try!
And with the right helper starting the foundation on your pup in the protection phase, maybe you'll be surprised!
Don't forget about tracking, that is a great way to bond, and learn about your dog.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
The BH is temperament and obedience only and I would work on that even if your dog isn't going to excel in protection.

An excellent reason to give it a try!
And with the right helper starting the foundation on your pup in the protection phase, maybe you'll be surprised!
Don't forget about tracking, that is a great way to bond, and learn about your dog.
Great!!! I was wondering about other activities like tracking... I'll definitely check it out (: I know I'll be doing CGC (more as a trial of how far along training and socialization are coming), and some obedience competitions (IF the pup enjoys it, of course).

Kymmey
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

Get Purely Positive Training by Sheila Booth, great puppy chapter/foundation training.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Get Purely Positive Training by Sheila Booth, great puppy chapter/foundation training.
Will do!!! If I'm not mistaken, they have it for the Nook. Thank you for the tip!!!

Kymmey
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Crowned Member

I have a pure working line dog that got the short end of the genetic stick and has never been a prospect for protection work, but instead I did a ton of obedience with her. We did the FO which is SDA's version of a BH and the OB1 which is their version of SChH1 obedience. I would have also done a normal BH and SchH1 obedience but never got around to getting her yet another scoreboard so we just did the SDA obedience (very similar and in some exercises the exact same as SchH) until I retired her from competing. So YES you can do just the BH/obedience stuff and have fun!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I have a pure working line dog that got the short end of the genetic stick and has never been a prospect for protection work, but instead I did a ton of obedience with her. We did the FO which is SDA's version of a BH and the OB1 which is their version of SChH1 obedience. I would have also done a normal BH and SchH1 obedience but never got around to getting her yet another scoreboard so we just did the SDA obedience (very similar and in some exercises the exact same as SchH) until I retired her from competing. So YES you can do just the BH/obedience stuff and have fun!
Awesome!!! I'm glad to see that someone else had the same idea, especially one of the more knowledgable members. I'm definitely going to go for it (:

Kymmey
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

Yep she was pretty good for obedience, and she's a SUPER tracker but at the time I knew nothing about tracking. She also really loved Rally Obedience. I think regular AKC obedience would have been too competitive for us (past the Novice level) but she liked rally because she's a dog that performs for the owner and the praise. I use treats to help train her new skills but she REALLY wants is attention and affirmation, never cared about any toy, never tugged anything. She is almost 9 years and retired from training and competition but she was a good dog for me to learn stuff with, very calm-tempered and not easily distracted even in a chaotic environment like a rally trial.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Yep she was pretty good for obedience, and she's a SUPER tracker but at the time I knew nothing about tracking. She also really loved Rally Obedience. I think regular AKC obedience would have been too competitive for us (past the Novice level) but she liked rally because she's a dog that performs for the owner and the praise. I use treats to help train her new skills but she REALLY wants is attention and affirmation, never cared about any toy, never tugged anything. She is almost 9 years and retired from training and competition but she was a good dog for me to learn stuff with, very calm-tempered and not easily distracted even in a chaotic environment like a rally trial.
I'll definitely be looking into those, too. So far I've observed SchH, BH, show, herding (which is what Dakoda does), and agility. I've also looked into flyball. But I just feel a strong draw to obedience events, not so much for competition as for a good bonding experience and training in general. I'm about to head to B&N and buy the book Onyx'Girl suggested, so I'll see if I can find anything on rally, tracking, etc while I'm there. When I get home I'll see if I can find any events nearby within the next few months that I could attend and observe (:

Kymmey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page