The Evaluation....... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The Evaluation.......

Well we went for our evaluation for schutzhund tonight. We got there at about 6:45 and there was a couple dogs ahead of us. They do obedience first then the bite work. Basically the people go out with their dogs and work on obedience, drive, etc. If there are any questions then the trainer comes out on the field. When it was Robyn's turn I was so nervous for her She walked in, approached everyone and ignored other dogs that were in the field connected to where we were at. The trainer immediately said that the temperament she showed within the first 3 minutes was great. Someone was nice enough to borrow me a couple balls to throw out to her, at first she chased them, smelled them, and didn't want to bother with them. I think she didn't want anything to do with it because they weren't hers(she can be picky with toys), the trainer said that shouldn't matter. I did some basic obedience with her and she spent lots of time smelling everything. The trainer understood that and he was fine with that. So then back in the car she went, she never barked at anything..sat there as quiet as a mouse. Then it was time for the evaluation for the bite work. He got out a pole with a long piece of leather(comparable to a flirt pole), he told me how to stand so I wouldn't fall if she lunged. The first minute or so, Robyn was unsure of what he was trying to do and really looked at me to encourage her..the trainer told me not to say anything and to ignore her. Finally she really got into it and chased, barked, lunged, and grabbed the leather on the pole. I had a hard time holding her(she is definitely stronger then I thought) He had me running in circles while she held onto it and praising her when she did so. We did this for about 15 minutes. Robyn was so happy and wagging her tail a mile a minute At first they did not think she was going to be able to do it, but in the end he says that she has what it takes to start and we can work with her on her drive and the chewy part. She would bite, then let go, then bite. He wants her to hold on more. Her drive at home is quite a bit higher. I think once she gets used to going there she will improve greatly on her own. The problem is that my son is not fond of this and doesn't understand why she should do this. He admitted that she looked like she was having lots of fun and the people watching said she did very well. I told him that I would like for him to go out there with her next week so he can be part of the excitement. He agreed to that much. Now my question is...we started a teenage class with her to go over everything that she already knows and a big part of that is the "checking in". Everytime that she makes eye contact she gets a treat, without me saying watch me. The idea is to get her to learn to focus on her own. Well she does this really well and when we were doing the evaluation she kept checking in with me. Is this okay in schutzhund or are the two different trainings going to confuse her? I mean I know that she has to focus on me in schutzhund, but is too much focus going to take away from what she should be doing? I hope I'm not confusing anyone. Thanks for any advice

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page