Mini "Blind-Set" of Sporthund - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mini "Blind-Set" of Sporthund

Anyone ever use any of these?
Revierset-7334200

If so, what's your experience? Better than cones?

I was thinking about building some of those mini blinds intead of using the cones since I'd like to teach her to look into the blind.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

I've never used them but to me they seem like a waste of money. To teach going around, any object will do (or even shrubs or a tree). To teach actively *looking* (checking) for a helper, I think the best result would be to train the exercise with helpers. If my dog looks into the blind I don't want him looking for anything other than the helper. If he goes around tight and under control but doesn't check into the blind at all then I can say that the exercise is really about showing obedience and control.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I've never used them but to me they seem like a waste of money. To teach going around, any object will do (or even shrubs or a tree). To teach actively *looking* (checking) for a helper, I think the best result would be to train the exercise with helpers. If my dog looks into the blind I don't want him looking for anything other than the helper. If he goes around tight and under control but doesn't check into the blind at all then I can say that the exercise is really about showing obedience and control.
I agree with this. The dog pretty much knows (or thinks that they know) where the helper is by the time you make it to the field. I'd teach them to "search" the blinds by having a helper hide in each of the blinds at random, so the dog can never be sure where he is.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, if you have a helper available on a regular basis, that isn't an issue, which I don't. At least not yet. :/
So I'm looking for something I can use to teach it on my own, of course not without the trainers consent.

Right now it pretty much is an obedience, control exercise.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Crowned Member

I have no permanent blinds on a field ever, so any exercise of go around has no meaning when it comes to actually doing the exercise on the protection field.
It is all about obedience and control, but for my dog, drive kicks in and 'around the tree or cone' is never the same when he goes into protection mode(at least w/ Karlo!).

We went on a strange field yesterday....my dog had no clue where the helper would be because we don't get to run 6 blinds ever. Came out from a trail onto the field, he was thinking we were out for a walk when we entered the field.
He figured it out after #2, we did a couple repeats as he wasn't complying then blew me off to find the helper after I made him run 4(helper was standing under the canopy in the shade with other spectators, neutral with the sleeve in a vertical position) Karlo had his eye on the group, not me so much even though he did mostly defer to me on 1, 2, 3, and 4.

He was always scanning for a helper.

I only had me as praise when he complied, no ball/toy just good boy, and pats, not enough for him. After he blew me off, he ran to the "new to him" helper and went right into a strong hold and bark.
The helper gave him a bite, which I wouldn't have chose, due to the blow off, but K did give some effort to run the first four (w/ my heavy coaxing).
I put him on a line, and the helper slipped the sleeve after a bit of fight. After that, Karlo who outs just fine, decided NOT outing on this new helper would be a fun test...so we had to work on that some. Never know what will occur when we hit a new field/helper the dog has never seen. I really enjoy learning more about my dog! His great genetics have him always confident, so that isn't a worry for me.

This is something I was going to build, still may if I can't get on a field where I can make my dog just go round and round blinds.
We can't pass a trial if I don't get him compliant on this, maybe if I had him just running round over and over and over when he was young~ he would just do the pattern to get to his goal. But I do like a thinking dog, not a robot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gZana4wKB4k

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-08-2012 at 11:43 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Master Member

Last year I bought a set of Pop and Go blinds. The whole set was less than $200. I LOVE them. They open up to full size. I was looking for a link to show you, but it seems that the company is no longer. I couldn't find them anywhere.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

They probably went broke! That is a great price!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Crowned Member

I used Christmas tree stands and fence posts, 3 set up in a triangle formation, then wrapped with a piece of canvas cut to fit. I can set up two of these in my yard to work on blinds.

I also use the stand/post as jump standards, so multipurpose
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Master Member

http://

My pop up blinds. If you can find them anywhere, get them!

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM

My club bought a set and we share rthem when someone needs to "teach" the blind search. I love them. I did use chairs before but these are easy and have a nice small bag to carry them in. Although I do not use it, there is a clip in each blind to hang a ball from if you want that can be used to teach the dog to look for the ball in each blind. I "teach" the dog to go past and circle back around each blind to keep them very tight....

Here is a quick video I made for some friends when I taught my dog to run 6 blinds in 3 days... (really 5, I never send him to 6 unless there is a helper)

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in