Puppy training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Puppy training

So i finally got out to a schutzhund meeting... The trainer said that he likes to just get them used to playing and getting ruff and not scared of things... At the age of 8 weeks to 8 months, but he didn't go into detail about what he does soooo thats annoying.

But a couple handlers came to talk to us and they said we should get a flirt pole to start her off on, which I was going to get anyway. What other equipment should I start with?

So I was wondering what I could do with Kono besides the flirt pole? Should I work on focus and what about training... like sit, stay, down, and here? Does anyone know what he could be talking about with getting them tough?

Any thing helps C:

Thanks!

Kono ~ 2/25/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

Getting them tough?! What sort of silliness is that? Didn't they give you any training on what sort of things you should be working on with your pup? Obedience? Tracking?

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Master Member

He probably meant tough as in confident. I would work on playing tug and doing fun obedience, but he is right, I wouldn't get too far into it yet.

www.rescuedrover.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds to me like he/she ,( trainer), is talking about letting the young pups get acclimated to club,people, and noises and smells that are present at training. If this is your first time at club, I as trainer would want to see how your dog does from 8 weeks to at least 4 months before I thought about anything formal. The dog doesn't know and you don't either....definite recipe for the trainer to take their time with you and your dog....make sense?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Getting them tough?! What sort of silliness is that? Didn't they give you any training on what sort of things you should be working on with your pup? Obedience? Tracking?
No, he just said to watch them and that he wouldn't really do anything yet... :\ which yeah I'm not going to try jumps or serious stuff... because she is only 4 months... but what about little things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
He probably meant tough as in confident. I would work on playing tug and doing fun obedience, but he is right, I wouldn't get too far into it yet.
Yeah I wasn't thinking about like big things with training... So would tug be to rough for her teeth since she is teething and already lost some? So would focus be okay for training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Sounds to me like he/she ,( trainer), is talking about letting the young pups get acclimated to club,people, and noises and smells that are present at training. If this is your first time at club, I as trainer would want to see how your dog does from 8 weeks to at least 4 months before I thought about anything formal. The dog doesn't know and you don't either....definite recipe for the trainer to take their time with you and your dog....make sense?
Okay, that makes more sense. He wasn't very detailed in his conversation.. But hopefully he will be next time. She is 4 months so what would you do then?Yeah he was kinda lets get this show on the road... Any thing about little training things for prey drive or obedience?

Thanks you three your answers helped me to understand more c:

Kono ~ 2/25/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Will Rogers
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

Seriously, I start obedience and tracking at 8 weeks. It's age appropriate, but I still start it. You are wasting the easiest time of life to train your dog.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

I'm taking mine to get evaluated and she is 10 months. They told me that is a good age to start and see if she is able to do it or not. Mine has gone through several obedience classes already. I'm interested in the tracking too.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Seriously, I start obedience and tracking at 8 weeks. It's age appropriate, but I still start it. You are wasting the easiest time of life to train your dog.

8 weeks is when you should be bonding and setting up for house manners IMO. There's plenty of puppyhood left for other things. I did too much obedience too young with my female and I'm regretting it now. I'd rather channel the drives into nice obedience as they get older. There's plenty of opposing theories on both sides though and one isn't necessarily better than the other.

www.rescuedrover.com
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah I thought that she should be doing something. At least get the hang of things...

Thanks c:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I'm taking mine to get evaluated and she is 10 months. They told me that is a good age to start and see if she is able to do it or not. Mine has gone through several obedience classes already. I'm interested in the tracking too.
Okay... yeah I've heard of all ages starting but its just I don't know what I can do before she is 8 months old... Tracking seems fun to do c: And I'm waiting on the obedience for now... just for fun obedience I'll try.

Thanks for the info

Kono ~ 2/25/12

-Will Rogers
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Crowned Member

You can't do too much obedience with a pup. They have no bad habbits to fix so it's all fun and positive. Great way to bond and build drive.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page