Schutzhund Training Evaluation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Schutzhund Training Evaluation

I have contacted someone today about an evaluation for my dog to see if she can do this. They are going to evaluate her, but I would like to know what they should do as part of the evaluation and what questions I can ask. I do know that during my conversation with them they said that they do tracking, bite work and obedience...the obedience comes in later and the tracking can be done every 3-4 weeks and the bite work will be done weekly. Does this sound like a good schedule? I did inform them that she has already had quite a bit of obedience training and they said that during the obedience training we in sense train them not to bite and some dogs come out of this and some don't..is that true? I have spent the last 7 months training my dog not to bite and now I am training her to do so...I know its on command but I can't help but to think that I'm confusing her. Also, what equipment will I need to purchase? What are the costs involved with that? They have invited both of us to come and watch the training which is done one on one, so no other dogs are allowed in the field when another dog is working. I do plan on making a couple visits along with the evaluation.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

Different clubs do things differently Most likely they will bring the dog on the field See how she is around you/others Have you play with her and maybe begin some obedience -I think what they mean about the obedience -is that some believe that too much obedience reduces drive -You should ask what ever questions that you have
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
Different clubs do things differently Most likely they will bring the dog on the field See how she is around you/others Have you play with her and maybe begin some obedience -I think what they mean about the obedience -is that some believe that too much obedience reduces drive -You should ask what ever questions that you have
Great she'll kiss them to death

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
I'll be honest here, I don't have a clue about this kind of training and stayed away from it until now, but I want my dog to be happy and I love working with her. What are some signs that a dog might do well with this training? I really don't know what questions to ask But I'm willing to learn and usually when I take on something I finish it

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Master Member

They will probably flick a rag in front of her to test her prey drive. They will ask you to hold her back and build some frustration to see what she does.
They will ask you what you have done with her, any accomplishments, previous training, experience with other training activities.

They will probably discuss the amount of time and investment this sport is. Will describe a lot about the history and why's and because's.
Keep in mind about 70% of the people who show up at a club never come back because they don't want to invest the time. Some will even say they will stick with it and go for a couple of weeks, even months before giving up.

This makes for a slight attitude in clubs that I've noticed with newbies. They don't attach themselves or help as much because they're burned out with all the people they help who just leave. Don't be offended its nothing against you directly.

Don't correct your dog for barking at other people working their dogs, in the beginning this big of an interest is a good thing. If you plan on doing Schutzhund you can quiet the dog down later. But the more control and obedience you apply on your dog in this situation the less likely they will be to express themselves and enjoy the game and evaluation and want to try and work.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheDawgies View Post
They will probably flick a rag in front of her to test her prey drive. They will ask you to hold her back and build some frustration to see what she does.
They will ask you what you have done with her, any accomplishments, previous training, experience with other training activities.

They will probably discuss the amount of time and investment this sport is. Will describe a lot about the history and why's and because's.
Keep in mind about 70% of the people who show up at a club never come back because they don't want to invest the time. Some will even say they will stick with it and go for a couple of weeks, even months before giving up.

This makes for a slight attitude in clubs that I've noticed with newbies. They don't attach themselves or help as much because they're burned out with all the people they help who just leave. Don't be offended its nothing against you directly.

Don't correct your dog for barking at other people working their dogs, in the beginning this big of an interest is a good thing. If you plan on doing Schutzhund you can quiet the dog down later. But the more control and obedience you apply on your dog in this situation the less likely they will be to express themselves and enjoy the game and evaluation and want to try and work.
I can understand all of this. So I won't be confusing my dog when she does stuff that I normally would not allow....I won't confuse her? I can almost bet she will be excited and she will bark. She got very excited doing a small agility course. Is it possible to have a dog do this training and do agility too? Or is it usually one or the other?

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I plan on getting her hips tested when she is a year, just for my own knowledge and because originally I was going to get her into agility at about a year old. Is it okay to do this training with her before I do the testing? I don't want her to hurt herself or make anything that might be wrong worse.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I can understand all of this. So I won't be confusing my dog when she does stuff that I normally would not allow....I won't confuse her? I can almost bet she will be excited and she will bark. She got very excited doing a small agility course. Is it possible to have a dog do this training and do agility too? Or is it usually one or the other?
Absolutely not!

All of my dogs are pets and companions, travel everywhere with me, play on agility equipment, play with young children, hang out at the retail store I work at, show, herd, assist me with training etc.

I don't actively compete in anything else (just too busy), but many of the members of the Schutzhund clubs I attend and have been to, also dabble in other sports including agility.

This will be a very different environment than the ones she is normally in and she will recognize the difference. The only time she will be confused is if you are not consistent and create a grey area. Don't question yourself on telling her no outside of the field if she does something you don't like. Don't be harsh on her and shut her down, but don't be afraid to use discipline with her.
A dog without discipline makes a roudy bully of a dog with too much confidence, lack of self control, and lack of respect for the handler.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I plan on getting her hips tested when she is a year, just for my own knowledge and because originally I was going to get her into agility at about a year old. Is it okay to do this training with her before I do the testing? I don't want her to hurt herself or make anything that might be wrong worse.
You won't be doing enough high impact training in the beginning stages of Schutzhund anyways. So playing with her at the club for a while until you test her should he fine. Unless she's walking around with a limp and appears to be in pain.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'm excited to see if she will do well in the evaluation. I'm sure it will be an experience If all else fails at least I know she likes and can do agility

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page