Schutzhund Training Evaluation - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Master Member

Even if she can't do protection you can still do tracking and obedience. Which are both fantastic learning experiences! Tracking is so fascinating to learn and put that nose you hear all about, to work.
The obedience is awesome IMO. Learning how to not only teach your dog obedience, but to have them do it in drive. To learn how to work a dog in drive is like going from a golf cart to a car, even a race car if you have the right dog. It's very exhilarating and I can't get enough of obedience because of it now. The way it teaches you engagement in dog training makes the possibilities endless. You can take what you learned there and apply it anywhere. The possibilities are endless.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing how it goes for you!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Banned

Right now, all I'm doing is obedience since I don't have the Club and money to go to weekly protection training. It's just too far away and too expensive in our part of the woods.

The obedience however, is pretty much playing a huge role in Schutzhund and it does transfer into protection. So even if you can't do protection, the first thing your next dog will learn (if you stick to it, get hooked and a dog for that later on down the road) is obedience and it will be so much easier for you to get into the protection part.

sometimes it's not a bad thing to learn the ropes on one thing before you move to another and Schutzhund Competition Obedience is much different from what I've seen in AKC style Obedience here in town.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She really excelled in her previous obedience classes and she loves to learn. I adore her and want to spend as much time with her as possible. I'm guessing the bonding that goes with this training is strong. I think she would do well in tracking, when we go for walks she has her nose to the ground quite a bit, especially in an area where their is wildlife and I always assumed that she smelled the ducks and geese. Does anyone know what equipment I will need? What is the average cost to purchase everything that I will need?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Right now, all I'm doing is obedience since I don't have the Club and money to go to weekly protection training. It's just too far away and too expensive in our part of the woods.
What is the average price of this training? If I do all three sessions in one day(bite work, tracking, and obedience) it comes to $60.00 a week. I won't necessarily do all three every week. Is that the average price, too expensive, or on the lower end?

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
What is the average price of this training? If I do all three sessions in one day(bite work, tracking, and obedience) it comes to $60.00 a week. I won't necessarily do all three every week. Is that the average price, too expensive, or on the lower end?
It really depends on the Club. Each Club has it's own price.

The closest Schutzhund Club to me charges 700 Dollars a year and right now they don't have a helper. You pay for the helper once he's there on top of that.

My personal lessons are 80 Dollars for an hour. The other Club, which is four-five hours away charges 400 Dollars a year.

The closest Club is a Ringsport Club that also does SchH work. They charge five dollars per session. That club is only one and a half hour away.

On top of that goes time and gas and in our current situation I'm actually trying to build an Obedience Training Group right here in Watertown. We can use State Land right opposite the place I'm working. Today we meet for the first time and I'm hoping to get them more into the drivier and competition style obedience. Just having people to train with and to meet regularly makes a huge difference instead of constantly working on your own and I'm sick and tired to drive all those distances, which is why I'm hoping to get something started out here.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
It really depends on the Club. Each Club has it's own price.

The closest Schutzhund Club to me charges 700 Dollars a year and right now they don't have a helper. You pay for the helper once he's there on top of that.

My personal lessons are 80 Dollars for an hour. The other Club, which is four-five hours away charges 400 Dollars a year.

The closest Club is a Ringsport Club that also does SchH work. They charge five dollars per session. That club is only one and a half hour away.

On top of that goes time and gas and in our current situation I'm actually trying to build an Obedience Training Group right here in Watertown. We can use State Land right opposite the place I'm working. Today we meet for the first time and I'm hoping to get them more into the drivier and competition style obedience. Just having people to train with and to meet regularly makes a huge difference instead of constantly working on your own.

Are these prices strictly for bite work or do they include tracking and obedience too?

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Are these prices strictly for bite work or do they include tracking and obedience too?
They are for all three phases. However, with one Club, you pay for the protection when they bring the helper out since they don't have a helper.

Ask these questions once your dog gets evaluated. I think NY is actually one of the more expensive places when it comes up to Schutzhund.

I know a Club in Florida that only charges 250 Dollars per year for all three phases and other members on this forum who do it don't pay close to any of the prices we pay up here. It is why I don't have a club. I refuse to pay that much money and go bankrupt over a sport. Just can't afford it up here in NY.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
They are for all three phases. However, with one Club, you pay for the protection when they bring the helper out since they don't have a helper.

Ask these questions once your dog gets evaluated. I think NY is actually one of the more expensive places when it comes up to Schutzhund.

I know a Club in Florida that only charges 250 Dollars per year for all three phases and other members who do it don't pay close to any of the prices we pay up here.
I'm thinking that I'll be paying $3000.00 or close to it a year, if I go this route and do all three every week. I don't think the place I'm looking at has a membership yearly price. Its per session kinda thing. Maybe I should keep looking? There aren't too many around me either

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm thinking that I'll be paying $3000.00 or close to it a year, if I go this route and do all three every week. I don't think the place I'm looking at has a membership yearly price. Its per session kinda thing. Maybe I should keep looking? There aren't too many around me either
That is very expensive. Ask them if they have a yearly club membership instead of you having to pay for each session.

They might want to see some commitment first before you get the club membership. It's one of the things I can't give a Club. I can't commit to a Club that is so **** far away. I know others can, I can't. Everybody has his own personal reasons why they can or can't do it.

Just ask these questions. It sucks that Schutzhund Sport is so darn expensive over here. There is no reason why it should be THAT expensive. Not 3000 Dollars a year just for the training itself. That is ridiculous.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Master Member

That might be a guest fee. If you become a member you would pay an annual fee. Depending on the skill of the members and experience it can range between $150-$300 on average.
Some of the top clubs in the area pay their helpers for their work so their fees can be higher.
The guest fee at my club is $15 per visit.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page