Just Starting any advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Just Starting any advice?

After some basic research, and at the urging of a few trainers and my barn manager, I've become rather interested in schutzhund, and am hoping to attend several trial training sessions with the MSC, and keeping my fingers crossed that I get voted in as a member if this suits my dog and I, as the MSC is the only schutzhund club in Maine.

I'm curious if anyone would recommend any resources/information, personal experiences, or any training areas I should be focused on right now. I am looking at attending the first class next Wednesday.

I want to go in free of any assumptions, but also prepared and somewhat knowledgeable, this is a big decision, but one I'm very excited about.

Lucius-DOB 3/28/12 Belgian/GSD
Tug-8yo Malamute
Kita-3yo American Eskimo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

Have you spoken to anyone in the club? If you can, get in contact with the training director, and ask them any questions you have. Different clubs have different protocols and most members like it when you ask questions BEFORE showing up. How old is your dog? Most clubs have rules about keeping your dog securely crated and in your vehicle while training is going on, but if you have a young puppy, it can be helpful to let him watch!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Have you spoken to anyone in the club? If you can, get in contact with the training director, and ask them any questions you have. Different clubs have different protocols and most members like it when you ask questions BEFORE showing up. How old is your dog? Most clubs have rules about keeping your dog securely crated and in your vehicle while training is going on, but if you have a young puppy, it can be helpful to let him watch!
He is roughly 13 weeks now. I have been speaking to the club training director via e-mail with some basic questions, so far her recommendation has been to attend a training session and see what I think. I believe I am just going by myself next week to observe.

In the little bit I've researched I've noticed there are many different protocols depending on the trainer and varying opinions, but am more looking for general information that is reliable. I've been browsing through the USA's website thus far.

I was hoping that Lucius might go to watch. However, waiting on her reply on whether or not that is okay! She did mention it was okay to start training now

Tug-8yo Malamute
Kita-3yo American Eskimo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Woot

Okay, after emailing the trainer a bit more, we are still going, and she said Lucius may come and observe as well, as the club activity is a bit different, and also look at private lessons with her for obedience and search.

Think I got my thumb on the corner of this

Thanks for the encouragement to talk to the training director more, as I had initially planned on stopping and just going next Wednesday. Feeling much more comfortable with things now.

Tug-8yo Malamute
Kita-3yo American Eskimo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page